Chapter 15: Until Death Do Us Part

The grand doors of the chapel opened and Sophie was greeted by hundreds of standing guests. In the corner of the wedding hall, a small orchestra played on violins, harps, and an elegant piano. If it weren't her wedding, she might have found some peace with the lulling music. There were no bridesmaids, no maid of honor, no one to stand up with her - only Suliman leading her down the aisle arm in arm, a position her father should have taken if he were still alive.

"This won't solve anything." Sophie whispered through her teeth.

Suliman smiled wider and tapped her arm. "How little you know, and even more that you cannot fathom."

The pianist played beautifully, and everyone whispered wondrous things about her dress, the music, and the handsome Prince who stood proudly on the altar. As Sophie took each step forward, she felt more hollow inside.

Sophie caught Justin gleaming at her as she slowly made her way down the aisle. She held the bouquet of roses he picked out just for her, and he nodded with approval. His stance was straight, his hands properly held behind his back. His tuxedo was black and white, a stark contrast from his typical attire.

Strangely enough, most of the guests wore white or an off-white color. Sophie remembered her mother telling her it was rude to wear white to a wedding, but apparently that was the theme for this one. However, Suliman was the only one who stood out tonight. She walked down the aisle, poised in a dark green formal dress.

As Suliman and Sophie approached the altar, Justin held out a hand for his bride. "You look more beautiful than ever."

Sophie hesitated, her body forced between two opposing directions, but eventually she rested her hand in his. She had no choice at this point; she was obliged to follow his every command.

The presider stood between them as Suliman left to find her seat in the crowd, having taken the bouquet with her. The guests sat down in unison as the service began. Everything, from the music to the guests to the decorations was too orchestrated; everything was eerily perfect.

Sophie tuned out the words from the presider as he explained why they were gathered today and how the two were coming together as one and other things Sophie couldn't care less about. She only worried about her hasty heart rate and the never-ending nightmare that was to be the rest of her life.

"If anyone can show just and fair cause why they may not be lawfully joined together, let you speak now or forever hold your peace."

Sophie searched the room for a hand or a shout or someone stopping the wedding. Even Justin stared into the crowd, his eyes scanning for the one person who might have a say in the matter. She had a glimpse of hope that Howl would push the chapel doors open and object to the marriage, saving her from this monstrosity.

A few seconds passed and nothing. So, the presider continued.

He asked for Sophie to speak her vows. Sophie hadn't written any down, nor had she any true words of love to speak of the man who stood before her. Everything else was a ruse, so this would be no different.

She gulped before speaking. "Justin, my love." He smiled wide at the sound of 'my love,' but Sophie rolled her eyes slightly and continued. "I promise to always be there for you and to cherish you as my husband."

Sophie tried coming up with more words that would seem sufficient for this occasion, but nothing came to mind. She had no true feelings for Justin.

The presider seemed to wonder why she hadn't continued, so when she shrugged her shoulders, he turned to the Prince to speak his vows.

Justin held Sophie's hands gently, his eyes never parting from hers. "Sophie, my darling Sophie. Only a year ago I first met you, and I haven't been able to keep my mind off of you since. You brightened my mornings and my evenings, for you were the first I thought of as I awoke and the last before I fell asleep. Sophie, I promise with this ring to never see you cry, never see you in pain, and never be the cause of any sorrow that befalls you. I will dedicate my life to your happiness and nothing shall be too much. Your love means more to me than a crown, a throne, or even a kingdom, because no magic or power compares to the strength of love."