33

Audrey's .POV.

What my dad did was clearly because he loves me, and really, if you think about, I should be grateful.

But I can't.

I'm a fighter. I'm someone who is independent. I'm not the girl who needs daddy to beat up every boy who hurts me. I'm like my mom. Brave.

Or am I?

If I was such a fighter, couldn't I have pointed out the signs that Jade was obviously doing what he was going to do? I think I'm brave. I know I am. I'm just naïve.

At the same time, being naïve is okay, once in a while. If you're mature sometimes, then naïve other times, it kind of balances it out. Being mature is a sign of bravery.

So instead of running away from the Dauntless camp, leaving my dads shouts in the background. I stop. My running stops. The echoing from my shoes against the rock found in the long tunnels silences. My dad yelling my name stops too.

I don't know why I stopped. Was it because I wanted to show I was mature, thus brave?No. It's because I heard gunshots and yelling coming from where I ran away from. The Dauntless camp is being attacked.

That's when I see I familiar face running in my direction. My eyes fill with tears. My heart pounds from the chest it lives in. It's someone who I thought I'd never see.

My mother.

"Run, Audrey! Just keep running," She pants and her running increases, "keep moving!"

I obey and run. It doesn't seem like I'm running, though. My brain, as it feels, doesn't seem to be functionally acting like a brain....

My mother, the one who we left back in Abnegation, half dead on an operating table, is actually alive. I cried each night knowing that she was dead. Knowing that the grandmother that I once trusted, hurt my mother. Knowing that the devil, Jeanine, that my father so fondly told me about, came back from the dead and hurt my mother in a way that I could never forget.

But I can hear her heavy breathing in the background as I run from the gunshots I heard. At least thats what I think I'm running from? But the fact that my mother told me to run is enough for me to obey. She was dead, first all of my life, then she came back to life, then died again, and now she's here! Alive. Running behind me. As I said, my brain is not functioning properly.

I run for a solid fifteen minutes. I run until my lungs scream for me to stop. From the heavy breathing behind me I realize my mothers lungs are screaming too.

I look back and she motions me to get behind the bushes. I run to the bushes and she follows behind me.

As I stand, my breathing settles down, I look at my mother. I see that it is my mom....she looks at me. Both our eyes well up with tears. She grabs me in an embrace. Her hug is strong. One that I've never truly experienced. I never got love growing up, so when someone embraces me, I really enjoy it.

"Mom." I sob, "You were dead. Dad and I left you for dead. How? How are you here?" I bawl.

My mom sobs with giggles mixed in, "Jeanine and Evelyn both left to help look for your father and you. I managed to utter enough strength to escape. I knew that you both headed to Dauntless, and there's many shortcuts that only your father and I know about. I beat them here. Except they just bombed Dauntless. But I found you; that's what matters."

"How 'bout Dad?" I whimper.

She looks at me with pain in her eyes, "He told me to run with you. He told me he'd find us. We trust that he will."

I nod, "What about Abnegation? My father raised soldiers for a purpose like this. Where all they all?"

Mom shakes her head in shame, "You'd think training soldiers would help in circumstances like these, eh? Makes me sick."

"Did they see you run away?"

"Luckily, no. Only your father who I managed to sneak up on. "

"Should we run some more? More farther? Just in case they saw you?"

"No. I've been running for the last two days. I'm too exhausted. Almost to the point where I mentally and physically need to rest. I'm for sure sure that they didn't see me. I just need to sleep. You too. We'll go find help tomorrow." She smiles and embraces me in a hug.

I sit against a tree in her arms. She rubs my hair with her hands.

"Did you know I am so proud to have a daughter like you? When I first met you I couldn't believe that I had a daughter, yet alone a daughter as beautiful as you. You obviously took after your dads looks. You're too pretty to look at me."

I smirk. "Growing up dad, and everyone else too, found it hard looking at me because I was so much like you. My petiteness. My hair. It was apparently too painful for him. So don't say I don't look like you. Because I do. And I'm proud to be like you and have your looks. You're the most intelligent, prettiest woman I've ever met."

I smile up at my mom. My deep blue eyes glistening with pride. I realize my moms crying. I wipe her face and kiss her cheeks, "You should sleep, Mom. I love you. I'm so happy you're okay."

With that, I sigh and lay my head down for which seems like an eternity.

Okay. Here it is. My update. Sorry I took my time writing this. Thanks y'all for your sweet sweet support and lovely comments. Be brave.