12. Just Pretend

A/N: It's almost midnight here and I'm sleep deprived so please forgive any major typos, grammar errors, etc. Comment & Vote, I love to hear what you guys think!

Emily's POV

We drove around for a while before he finally decided to break the silence.

"Why are you so quiet?" He asked. Of course, Stephen ask me a question to avoid divulging into all of your feelings first.

Not today. He will have to open up to me first. "I'm waiting for you to tell me why you're here."

He smiled. "You know why. I missed you."

"That simple?" I questioned.

He nodded and laced his fingers with mine, he then proceeded to kiss the back of my hand.

"I just can't accept that. Something happened in Austin. Danneel said—"

He cut me off. "Danneel? When did you have time to talk to Danneel in the last 20 minutes?"

I laughed. "You are really clueless aren't you? You didn't think that they would text me to find out what happened?"

He nodded. "I guess I just forgot about everyone around me. I simply wanted to come back to you. I should've never left in the first place."

I stayed quiet.

"Aren't you going to say something?" He asked.

"What do you want me to say? I can't just keep being the girl that is here when it's convenient for you. I want to be with you, believe me, I do. More than anything, but that doesn't mean that this still doesn't hurt every single time. When I got in this car I was determined to make the best of it, to just be with you and live in the moment, but the more I think about it, I can't. At least not now." I was trying my best to explain my feelings to him, but I don't think that he quite understood.

"Emily, you have to believe me when I say that I love you. You have to take my word for it because that's all that I can give you for the moment. I can't offer you the world, as much as I would like to because right now it's not mine to give. Cassandra and I have an understanding when it comes to our relationship. We're not together. We don't sleep in the same room, but when the cameras come out it has to be another story for now."

I shook my head and sighed. "What do you want me to do with that? She can come by any time she wants at work and even though Barrowman and Willa figured out what's going on it doesn't mean that I don't look bad. I know that you called a lawyer. I know you are not in love with her, but this publicity thing is what's messing all of this up. I don't understand why you care so much? At first I wanted to believe that it was because of Mavi and for a while you went a long with it, but now I'm not so sure. Cassandra tells me in front of your trailer that eventually you will go back to her and it's hard to not think that that's what's going to happen."

He took a deep breath before speaking. "Do you trust me?"

"It's not that simple." I retorted.

"Yes it is. Do you trust me?" He repeated.

"Stephen—"

"Ok. You don't trust me, so what can we do to change that?"

"I didn't say that I don't trust you." I said.

"But you didn't say that you did either, means the same thing." He replied.

I rolled my eyes. "We obviously aren't going to get anywhere with that. So you win. I don't trust her, and you-well I want to trust you but it's hard when she's the one with the right to be with you."