Prologue

Hogsmeade
Just outside Hogwarts grounds, Scotland
August 8 1993

The wind was howling. Thunder shook the ground awake. One lighting strike lit up the stone. Leaves were whirling from the ground, the earth burst open but not a single raindrop hit her grave.

Adeline Ariana Dumbledore.
January 14 1899 - October 31 1981

She didn't have a whole life but time enough to live.

Someone bowed down to the stone and wiped off a stray leaf. The figure's mouth moved but whatever sound it made couldn't possibly be heard over the storm raging on around it.

"Who's there?" A familiar voice called. The figure didn't look up. It kept on muttering to the grave as if it were talking back. "Who are you?" Called the voice again. He was barely audible over the storm but his voice wasn't hard to forget.

The man slowly approached the figure at the grave. Finally the figure got to its feet and turned around.

The old man froze in his step. Long golden blonde hair was falling in waves from under the hood. The only other person he knew to have hair so blonde wasn't nearly as tall and not stupid enough to be out in this weather.

A pendant was dangling over her cloak. It lit up in the dark. He could almost feel the magic radiating off of it.

Another flash of lighting.

The figure was gone.

~~~~
Dumbledore's office
Headmaster's Tower, Hogwarts
August 8 1993

"I swear I saw her, Albus. She was weeping over her own grave."

"She's dead, Aberforth."

"Maybe it was her ghost?"

"A ghost wearing a black cloak?" The old Headmaster shook his head. "Whatever you saw, Aberforth, it cannot have been her."

"But what if..."

"She's dead." Albus Dumbledore said impatiently to his brother. "I have more important matters to deal with than your imagination running wild."

Aberforth slammed down his glass rather harshly. "I would recognise my Adeline anywhere, Albus. It was her."

Albus took a deep breath and pinched his nose. "Aberforth...my daughter is dead. Now don't make me repeat it. You know I wish you were right but she isn't coming back. Onto more pressing matters, I'm sure you've heard of Black's escape?"

Aberforth grunted a little at Albus's obvious change of subject but nodded nonetheless. "Read it in the Daily Prophet, I did. That boy always was smart and resourceful but with this he really outdid himself. Escaping out of Azkaban? Only a fool would try."

"I know you've always had a soft spot for him, Aberforth, but we can't risk him getting anywhere near here. You understand the danger, don't you?"

"I'm just as concerned about her safety as you are, Albus. I realise Black is a threat...but I still don't believe...Ah, never mind. I know you're tired of hearing it, Albus."

"I am. Now, you should probably go. The Minister will be here soon to handle the issue of protection at Hogwarts."

"Don't even think about giving into Fudge, Albus-"

"If you think that I will let those Dementors cross the boarders to Hogwarts grounds, Aberforth, you don't know me well enough. But I'm sure I'll have to put some water by the wine."