Chapter 4.8 (Mad-Eye Moody)

Hogwarts castle, Hogwarts grounds
Highlands, Scotland
1 September 1994

Through the gates, flanked with statues of winged boars, and up the sweeping drive the carriages trundled, swaying dangerously in what was fast becoming a gale. Lightning flashed across the sky as their carriage came to a halt before the great oak front doors, which stood at the top of a flight of stone steps. People who had occupied the carriages in front were already hurrying up the stone steps into the castle.

Aurora, Harry, Hermione and Ron jumped down from their own carriage and dashed up the steps too, looking up only when they were safely inside the cavernous, torch-lit Entrance Hall, with its magnificent marble staircase.

"Blimey," said Ron, shaking his head amd sending water everywhere. "If that keeps up, the lake's going to overflow. I'm soak-ARGH!" A large, red, water-filled balloon dropped from out of the ceiling onto Ron's head, and exploded. Drenched and spluttering, Ron staggered sideways into Harry, just as the second water bomb dropped- narrowly missing Hermione, it burst at Harry's feet, sending a wave of cold water over his trainers into his socks.

"No," said Aurora, sidestepping a waterballoon, "now you're soaked." She grinned at Ron, then her smile turned into a look of horror and she shrieked, "Harry!" Hiding behind him as another balloon, aimed for her, hit Harry in the face. "Ooof, that was close," she said, jumping from behind Harry.

The boy turned around and glared at her. Hair soaked and stuck to his face. Glasses askew from the force, water was dripping from his jaw into his neck. "For you, maybe!"

People all around them were shrieking and pushing each other in their efforts to get out of the line of fire- Aurora looked up, and saw, floating twenty feet above them, Peeves the poltergeist's malicious face contorted with concentration as he took aim again.

"PEEVES!" yelled an angry voice. "Peeves, come down here at ONCE!" Professor McGonagall had come dashing out of the Great Hall. She skidded on the wet floor and grabbed Hermione around the neck to herself from falling. "Ouch - sorry, Miss Granger-"

"That's all right, Professor!" Hermione gasped, massaging her throat.

"Peeves, get down here NOW." Barked Professor McGonagall, straightening her pointed hat and glaring upwards through her square-rimmed spectacles.

"Not doing nothing!" Cackled Peeves, lobbing a water bomb at several fifth-year girls, who screamed and dived into the Great Hall. "Already wet, aren't they? Little squirts! Wheeeeeeeee!" And he aimed another bomb at a group of second-years who had just arrived.

"Okay, that is it!" Elizabeth growled. She took something out of the pocket of her robes and threw it at Peeves. Elizabeth, who was known for her incredible aim, of course hit Peeves in the head. Whatever she threw exploded before it could fall down again. When the red smoke that came from it, finally faded away, Peeves was nowhere to be seen.

Several people cheered and Elizabeth bowed dramatically. "What was that?" Aurora asked her.

"A potion I made to temporarily get rid of non-living, non-dead creatures. I must admit, I didn't think it actually worked but- I'm better at this than I thought."

"Well, move along, then!" Said Professor McGonagall sharply to the bedraggled crowd. "Into the Great Hall, come on!"

Aurora and Elizabeth slipped and slid across the Entrance Hall and through the double doors on the right.

The Great Hall looked its usual splendid self, decorated for the start-of-term feast. Golden plates and goblets gleamed by the light of hundreds and hundreds of candles, floating over the tables in mid-air. Four long house tables were packed with chattering students. At the top of the Hall, the staff along one side of a fifth table, facing their pupils. It was much warmer in here.