Chapter 4.26 (The Pensieve)

Aurora spend the night on the couch in front of the fire with Harry, Hermione and Ron.

She dreamed she was riding on the back of a phoenix, soaring through the clear blue sky towards an old, ivy-covered house set high on a hill side. Lower and lower they flew, the wind blowing pleasantly in her face, until they reached a dark and broken window in the upper storey of the house, and entered. Now they were flying along a gloomy passageway, to a room at the very end....through the door they went, into a dark room whose windows were boarded up.

Aurora had left the phoenix's back...she was watching, now, as it fluttered across the room, into a chair with its back to her...there were two dark shapes on the floor beside the chair...both of them were stirring.

One was a huge snake...the other was a man...a short, balding man, a man with watery eyes and a pointed nose...he was wheezing and sobbing on the hearth-rug...

"You are in luck, Wormtail." Said a cold, high-pitched voice from the depths of the chair in which the phoenix had landed. "You are very fortunate indeed. Your blunder has not ruined everything. He is dead."

"My Lord!" Gasped the man on the floor. "My Lord, I am...I am so pleased...and so sorry..."

"Nagini," said the cold voice. "You are out of luck. I will not be feeding Wormtail to you, after all...but never mind, never mind....there is still Harry Potter..."

The snake hissed. Aurora could see its tongue fluttering.

"Now, Wormtail." Said the cold voice. "Perhaps one more little reminder why I will not tolerate another blunder from you..."

"My Lord...no...I beg you..."

The tip of a wand emerged from the depth of the chair. It was pointing at Wormtail. "Crucio." Said the cold voice.

Wormtail screamed, screamed as though every nerve in his body was on fire, the screaming filled Aurora's ears and the mark on her shoulder tingled, not unpleasantly but not comfortable either.

The screaming stopped and suddenly a woman appeared on the other side of the room, in full view of Aurora.

The familiar woman had golden blonde hair, that cascaded down her back in beautiful waves. Her eyes were big and a deep sapphire-blue colour. She was wearing the same white dress she always wore and a weird pendant was dangling from her neck.

"My beloved phoenix." The cold voice whispered. "Orion has kept his distance...but once I have her...he won't have any choice but to join us."

The woman's face grew angry. "Tom, if you hurt her-"

"I wouldn't." He said instantly. "You know I wouldn't. I wouldn't do that to you...I wouldn't do that to Orion."

Adeline sighed, closing her eyes. "I thought he might have forgotten. It's been fifty years..."

"He has never forgotten." Said Voldemort simply. "He never got over her. And now the time has come for them to meet again."

The woman gave an almost unnoticable nod of her head. She reached up to hold the pendant tightly in her hand. Immediately Aurora's mark started to burn.

My sweet Aurie,
Forgive me, for I have no choice.
He'll return and when he does you need to be by his side.
You'll have to take my place because I can't anymore.
But don't worry, my daughter. I will look upon you from above and I will help you in any way I can.
I know you'll succeed the task that was previously mine to fullfill.
You'll bring the light back to this dark world.
You'll be the end of the never-ending night and the dawn of a new day.
You will rise again, Aurora, as bright as your name.