One

Set in around 2008

I grew up quickly in the heat of Las Vegas. The city of sin and sinners. My brother joked that it was because of the skyrocketing temperatures that him and I became so hot headed. It is a working theory because everyone I know has that intense anger trailing them. So I have been seeking a way to get out of here for as long as I have been able to comprehend the craziness of this city.

Freshman year of high school, I plotted to run away. My brother, who had just become my legal guardian, found out when he found a bus ticket to San Francisco in my backpack. He made a deal with me to give me ten grand if I stayed in Vegas till I was twenty-one. Our parents left us a great lump sum of money that I'm not allowed to access until I'm twenty-five, but the story of my parents is another story completely.  My brother is in control of the funds, so he can transfer payments to me when he sees fit.

Right now I am nineteen and living on my own in a cheap apartment that I pay for with my night job. I'm a dancer at a club. My brother and I are currently fighting because of many things. The main reason is that my occupation is dancing for men for money. I haven't talked to him in a couple weeks, and he cut me off since he used to give me around a thousand a month from our trust fund.

I'm fine thought. I have a job that pays great, and I don't mind the work. I haven't slept in awhile, but I just can't sleep. I survive on lack of sleep. Two or three hours is enough to keep me going. Everyone knows where to find me if they need me. So while I chain smoke and flip through TV channels, someone knocks on my door.

"Its open!" I yell since I know that knock all too well.

Ronnie Radke, a life long friend of mine, walks through the door. I haven't seen him in awhile, but that is because our paths haven't been crossing. He sees me as a sister, but that's because he hasn't seen me as a girly girl. I've had a crush on him since forever, but I won't act on it. I just don't see myself like that.

"Adrianne!" Ronnie sighs, shuts the door, and flops on the couch next to me. "What's up?"

"Nothing." I laugh, turn off the TV, and fix myself on the couch to face him.

"What's this?" Ronnie asks plucking up one of my outfits, a fishnet body suit that I rock, from behind my head.

"Nothing." I said grabbing it and tossing it across the room.

"Who's is that?" He asked looking stunned. "Are you a lesbian?"

"No!" I laughed.

"Hey, if you are, like, its fine. You aren't unatractive--"

"Oh, my God. Stop!" I playfully hit him. "Maybe I like to dress up like a girl sometimes."

"That is more than how girls dress up." He chuckled. "What are you up to tonight?"

I thought. I'm not working. "Um, nothing." I gave him a suspicious look. "Why?"

"Thought I'd bring you to a party." He smiled.

"No."

"Come on! You haven't been to a party since you dropped out of high school."

"No. I have, just not with you."

"See. Come on."

I used to go to parties in high school because I didn't have anything better to do. Now since my work is like a party constantly, I don't find the need to go to them all the time. Ronnie is giving me the look which I couldn't resist. Damn him.

"And dress pretty. That ex of yours is going to be there." He commented.

"When is it?"

"At eight."

I looked out at the setting sun.

"Fine." I sighed. "I'll get ready."

I walked into my room and looked through my clothes. I found an outfit of a pair of black lace up fake leather shorts and a tight black all lace camisole with a bra under it. I had enough time to take a shower, blow dry my long dark brown hair, straighten my hair, apply makeup, and get dressed before Ronnie started knocking on the door asking me what was taking me so long.

"Hang on!" I shouted. I put on a pair of heeled combat boots, a tattoo choker, and an array of silver rings.

When I walked out, I don't think Ronnie recognizes me.

"Who's car are we taking?" I asked putting in a pair of my gauges.

"Um... Well, um, my car?" He sounded a bit nervous.

"Sounds good." I said grabbing my two packs of cigarettes, a lighter, my phone, and my keys.

I'll admit it felt good to be receiving some attention from Ronnie for the first time in awhile. He keeps glancing at me while we drive fast through the streets. He's heading to Anabelle's place. Anabelle is actually who got me into stripping, but she hasn't told anyone. I keep my job private like most dancers.

When we get there, people are spilling out on the lawn and cars line the street. We find a spot, park, lock the car, and walk up to the house. Ronnie must have looked pretty good walking up with a girl like me because he got quiet a few greetings from guys saying things suggesting that he must have some pretty good luck to be with me. I ignore it and look for Anabelle. Ronnie looses me in the crowd.

"Addie!" Anabelle giggles as I walk up to her. Max Green, a friend of Ronnie and I's, gives me a look up and down too. "Where you been? And damn, someone looks good!"

"Who? Me?" I tease. "Not half as good as you."

"I disagree." Ronnie says slinging a arm around me.

Playful flirting always happens between Ronnie and I. It seems to be getting more and more serious as the night plays on. Drinks and pot are passed around. Even some pills, which I don't want, but Ronnie takes some. By the end of the night, we are both really trashed.

"Okay, I need to get home." I slurred, holding on to Ronnie to stand up straight.

"Alright. I'm going to drive." He said.

After a long goodbye to Anabelle, a full conversation arguing over whiskey (my side) is better than vodka (Max's side) with Max, and about fifty goodbyes to friends, Ronnie and I manage to drive away. Now, it is never a good idea to drive drunk. Ronnie somehow managed to get us to the apartment safely.

"Okay. You are not driving home!" I laughed. "Come on, let's go upstairs."

"Fine, fine." He waves me off.

We laugh our ways up the stairs and got into my apartment.

"God!" I pulled off my shoes and socks. "I am fucking tired."

"When is the last time you actually slept?" Ronnie joked and sat on the couch.

"Hmm, what year is it again?" I pulled off my lace cami. I briefly forgot that Ronnie didn't know I was a stripper. I've gotten so comfortable not being dressed around people.

"No, seriously." He pulls me down next to him. "Maybe you should sleep."

"Maybe you should take your own advice, Mr. Rock Star." I teased.

He smiled and I realized how close he was to me. Looking back, I couldn't tell you who leaned in first, but I think it was him. He kissed me, and even in my drunken haze I was just filled with this feeling of just pure joy. He put a hand on my back to pull me close and just his touch sent a tingle down my spine. Ronnie pulled me on his lap, straddling him and deepening the kiss. He is such a good kisser.

It wasn't long before he picked me up and carried me to the bedroom. The night ended in perfect bliss and I actually got some sleep.