Fourteen

"What do you mean you are pregnant?" He said blankly.

I grappled with words, but nothing really came out.

"Look, I'm not thrilled either..." I ran a hand through my hair.

"You know it isn't that, but FUCK!" He suddenly got very mad. "Is this some ploy to get us back together?"

I'm stunned and hurt. "How... How fucking dare you?!" I yell and step back. "You really think that low of me?"

"Its just all too convenient." He glared.

I felt so stupid. Every choice I ever made in my life proved that I'm stupid from the man I love to drugs.

"Get... Get out." I spoke softly.

Ronnie didn't budge.

"Get out!" I yelled, shoving him hard, but it did nothing to move him except one step back. "I never want to see you again!"

"Adrianne--"

"No!" I step back. "I don't even recognize you anymore."

"Adri--"

"You will have nothing to do with this child or me. If you come near me ever again I'll call the police."

"A--"

"Stop." I say before going to my room.

He leaves like always. He's mad and I can tell from the noise he makes from slamming the front door and the car driving off. Zed returns a couple of hours later.

"You look like you haven't moved in hours." He comments.

"I took the test."

"Are you?"

"I called Ronnie."

"So you are?"

"He came over and I told him."

"What happened?"

"He accused me of using it to get us back together."

Zed stood up and ran a hand through his hair. "I'll kill him." He said calmly.

When he is really mad, not just the heat of an argument, he is calm. It scares me. Very rarely have I seen him like this.

"It isn't worth it." I sit up. "Come to the hospital with me?"

"Will they do a test this late?"

"Let's find out." I pulled on some shoes and we drove off to the hospital. Zed had to talk to the nurses and staff, but convinced them to see me.

We have a long wait, so I go to the bathroom since I'm feeling sick. I throw up in the toilet and hate myself. When I get out a woman about ten years older than me smiles at me sympathetically.

"Isn't it strange that they call it morning sickness?" She commented.

"How did you...?" I stare at this stranger.

"I was the same way with my first kid." She laughed. "The look in your eyes and you are a skinny girl, so I can see the start of it."

I looked in the mirror and turned to the side. Sure as shit, I noticed it. I don't think it really hit me until then. The woman left, but I stayed and stared at myself for five more minutes. When I returned, Zed tried talking to me. It was like talking to a brick wall. Suddenly, my phone started blowing up. Ronnie is trying to get a hold of me. I don't even read the texts before I turn it off.

The doctor gets us. We go through basic medical questions and then he asks for a urine sample. Zed and I lazily watch TV in the room while waiting to hear back. When the doctor comes back, he has a smile on his face.

"Congratulations. You are five weeks along." He beams.

I start crying instantly. The doctor changes his attitude, talking about options like adoption and abortion. It is all too real right now.

The car ride back is quiet. I just stare out the window and try not to think. Zed parks the car in the driveway and sits there.

"What are you going to do?" He says.

"Sleep for now. We are going to plan a tour as soon as we can." I shrug.

"And Ronnie?"

"Who's Ronnie?" I laughed. "He's dead to me."

With that I go inside the house and lock my door. And I just fall asleep.