Five

Zed and I ended up actually forming a band. Its been fun, and we are getting popular. Escape the Fate just got back from tour, and they are hoping for another one soon. There is a problem with that. Ronnie's parole officer has been an ass lately. He's keeping a closer and closer look at everything he does. God, I remember that stupid fight. I was up crying all night when he was put in jail for it.

Right now, I'm just returning from band practice and getting ready for work. Ronnie comes in, mad as hell.

"Hey!" I said pulling my towel closer. "You scared the shit out of me!"

He runs a hand through his hair and paces.

"Fuckin' probation officer is revoking." He spat out.

I'm tired, more tired than usual.I don't have enough energy to cope with it. He had said this before, when he got back from tour two weeks ago and before they went to tour. It turns out it was nothing. He just called in, set up a meeting, and was fine.

"Ronnie... Calm down." I said resting my hand on his shoulder. He jerked it away.

"I could go to jail! And now Max is an asshole!"

"Don't yell at me!"

And so this massive fight started. We yelled at each other about everything. I ended up kicking him out, drinking two cups of coffee, and going to work. Halfway through work, Max walked in the club. He's pretty out of it, but asking about me. I run in the dressing room, grabbing a robe, and going outside for a cigarette together.

"So you haven't heard the good news?" Max said with a grimace, telling me he isn't being serious.

"What news?" I look at him.

He averts eye contact and takes a long drag off of his cigarette. "Didn't think so."

"What's going on?" I'm scared. He doesn't answer. "Max!" I smack his shoulder.

"Ronnie got picked up. He's going to jail."

I didn't want to believe it. "No." I shook my head. 

"Yes, Adrienne." He insisted. 

"Why aren't you there? At the fucking jail?" I say, now pissed off.

"Because he's going to have a guy from management telling him he's out of the band for good coming soon. He won't ever want to see me again."

It was like my world turned upside down. I walked away from Max. In the club, I packed up my stuff and drove off. I went to the jail, waited in line, and eventually got to the front. I explained why I was there, but the guy running the desk didn't care.

"Look." I leaned forward on the counter. "My boyfriend is about to go to jail. I don't know for how long. I want five minutes with him. Please. I'm begging you."

The guy sighed loudly, pushed a clipboard to me, and mumbled how he didn't have enough time to deal with this.

"Sign your name. I'll have a guard bring you there." He told me.

Quickly, I did. This guy brought me to the holding cells. I've been in these before, a few times. Ronnie comes right up to the bars when he sees me.

"How'd you get back here?" He asked.

"I annoyed the guy in the front desk till he got me back here."

He half laughs then stops. "I'm going to spend the next four years in jail."

No. No, no, no, no, no... No.

When would I see him? On visiting days upstate? I held back tears.

"Fuck." I hugged my arms. 

He just stared at me. He looked lost and concerned. I knew I couldn't reach through the bars and kiss him, but I want to more than anything. 

"I'm going to visit you."

"Fuck no."

"What?"

"You don't want to see me in there."

"Yes, I do."

He sighed, leaned against the bars, and looked at me. "I fucked everything up, didn't I?"

"No. You didn't." I insisted. "Please just let me come see you when you get up there."

He averted eye contact, sighed loudly, and chuckled. "You have me pretty fucked up, Adrianne."

"You have me fucked up too." I laughed. 

"Miss, you gotta go." The guard told me.

"Fuck it." I said before kissing Ronnie quickly through the bars.

"Write me." He said before I was brought out.

I felt better, but it hit me just how real this is. I drove home in silence. The radio just is too loud. When I get to the apartment, Craig, a old friend, is waiting at the door. He knows. I can see it written on his face.

Before he or I could say anything, we hugged. He held me close before letting me go. Inside the apartment, we drank whiskey, still not talking.

"I need to tell you something." He said, breaking the silence.

"No. I don't need anymore news today." I shook my head and swallowed down another shot of whiskey.

"You need to hear this from me."

"Fine. Go ahead."

"I've been asked to be the new front man for Escape the Fate."

"This is... Too much. Everything seems too real." I laughed sadly.

"I accepted."

"I don't blame you there." I rested against the counter. "I need to call into work."

He nodded and I called my boss. He wasn't pleased. In fact, he fired me. He told me that I've been untrustworthy and a pain in his ass. He has a point, and I am too tired to argue. Craig looked concerned. WHy is everyone worried about me?

"You can crash on the couch." I said to Craig.

He nodded, watching me as I left the room. 

I took a long shower and when I got out, I cut myself again. I cut more than usual on my upper thigh. It was numb when I put the blade down. I changed into a pair of sweatpants and a tank before walking out to the kitchen for another drink. Craig was still up, and he caught my by the waist, just above where the cuts are. It hurt, and he saw it.

"You know, it is going to be okay." He said placing his hand lightly over the cuts over the sweatpants. 

"How did you know?"

"Remember when I came up here before you dropped out?" He asked. Yes, I did remember. I saw him at a party. We ended up hooking up, but we both agreed it wasn't a good time.

"You saw them then?"

"I saw the scars and something in your eyes told me what was going on."

I don't know why I did it. Maybe because it was because I felt alone or that I had unresolved feelings, but I kissed Craig. He didn't stop me. The next morning, I would both regret and cherish the fact that Craig and I hooked up, but in that moment, I didn't care. I needed comfort and it didn't matter who it was with.