1.

The cheering fans buzzed in my ears as my Quarterback releases the ball. I drop step and sprint towards my high school's touchdown. Everything goes quiet as my mind shuts out my surroundings and focuses on the ball. The world begins running in slow motion as the ball approaches.

My arms raise just above my eyes and I stare into the diamond shape of my hands, trying to line them up with the incoming ball.

The football's in front of me now and my arms tighten as it hits my hands. It lands into my grip perfectly and I tuck it under my arm without hesitation. The world returns to its normal speed and the cheers resume as I take off with the ball, without looking back.

I was sprinting my hardest towards the touch down even though I was so wide open that there was no way anyone could catch me. With football, you can never get cocky because that's when you make mistakes.

When I take my last steps over the goal line, I celebrate my successful 50 yard run. I look up just as seven points is added to our 14 point lead.

It was a warm night and the field lights were illuminating only the field so it made the celebration even more vibrant in my opinion.

We had just won yet another game and our undefeated streak stays untouched.

I take the time to congratulate the opposing team captain on a game well played on the other side line. He happened to be a good sport and he shook my hand with a smile.

***

At school the next day, I notice the cheerleaders had neatly stuck a sparkly sign on my locker simply congratulating me on the win. I smiled when I saw it, I just appreciated the time they spent on it. I made a mental note to thank the first cheerleader I saw.

As I just open my locker, I hear multiple familiar giggles approaching. I sigh.

Please pass, please pass.

"Hey, Kade!" A high pitched, valley girl voice addressed me.

Ugh..why?

I put on a fake smile to not seem disrespectful.

"Hey, Courtney." I greet her back, turning towards her and her posey.

They all wore the usual 'I'm high and mighty' clothing. Very very short shorts, crop tops revealing more than necessary, pounds of the brightest make up, and Converse.

The only thing I liked about them were their shoes. It was annoying how they dressed exactly the same, just wearing different colors.

"Cute shirt." She complimented.

Sure she seemed nice, but all she was looking for was someone to knock her up. I just wasn't interested in all that.

"Thanks." I say simply, trying to cut the conversation short.

"I was wondering if maybe we could hang out after school." She suggested, indirectly asking me out.

"Uh..." I stumble over my words trying to think of the perfect way to decline politely. "I'm sorry, I can't. Football practice."

Good one.

"Silly, you don't have practice on Tuesdays."

Damn.

I had to do what I needed to protect her feelings. I don't hurt girls, just maybe...disappoint them.

"No, Courtney. I do really like you but I'm just trying to focus on school and football for right now." I lied.

She didn't get the other parts of what I'd said but only the bits shed wanted to hear.

"You mean like like?" She asks excitedly, bringing me back to sixth grade.

I sighed in my head.

"Maybe, but look, I got to go to class, okay? I'll talk to you later?" I end the conversation as I snatch my things from my locker and begin to walk away.

"Yeah, of course." I hear her say as I move further away.

You know someone's got a fake perky personality when you can hear their smile.