4.

The next day came, Thursday. I had to go to school unfortunately and I was nervous, maybe even a bit terrified of how school was going to be like. Especially after what had happened.

I walked in the door and instantly I can tell that everything was different.

Quiet, and lonely. Everyone stopped talking when I walked in and started leaving, going in other directions, trying to get away from me as soon as possible. I acted normally but inside I couldn't take it, I couldn't stand it, it was horrible. No girls wanted to ask me out or have anything to do with me anymore.

This relieved me but down deeper inside me, I longed for at least a speck of their attention.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

The bell for the beginning of our first class had rung.

I trudged alone to my locker and slowly got organized. At this point, I didn't have a care whether or not I was late.

Not even five minutes into the class period, people started throwing papers at me, some of which had hateful comments. They usually did this to the other kid who sat in the back, Sean. Today it was him and me both who got pelted.

***

I pushed through the morning classes until lunch finally arrived. We had lunch in the court yard today.

To my surprise, only six of my teammates dared to sit with me at our usual courtyard table, Hunter included. The others sat in the grass. It was quite awkward but I tried my best to seem as though I didn't notice.

As we ate in almost silence, I notice Sean at a table beside us. I look at him until he notices me and I wave him over. He points at himself and give me a confused look. I just nod and he cautiously stands.

"Uh, what are you doing?" Hunter whispers to me. "He's not one of us."

"Everyone deserves a chance." I say back. "We're no different than him."

"Uh, yes actually. We're very different. He's a loser and we're football players."

I glare at him in disbelief.

"No. He's smart, oh no. That doesn't make him a loser. He's human and we're human."

"I understand but you don't have to be too nice. I'll say it slower. He. Is. Not. One. Of. Us."

"Fine." I say, anger rising. "Then I'm one of him. I wouldn't want to be apart of you guys anyways."

With that, I stand and lead Sean away from our table and back to his.

"Thanks." He says simply. It's the first thing I've ever heard him say.

"Hey, don't sweat it."

***

Lunch passes fast but in that whole twenty five minute break, I learned a lot about my new friend. He actually likes football, he knows more about it than most of my players.

He's not too built but I've been thinking; his size is perfect for running back. He looks really fast. Of course, me being me, I start connecting the dots.

He could definitely be added to the team, downside though is that it'd be torture for him because I know the others wouldn't treat him equal. Also, I'm the running back.

***

As I walk to my last period, I debate on the topic more.

Maybe he could sub. Oh, or maybe he-

My book and binder tumble out of my hands and scramble onto the marble floor. Courtney shoulder bumped me hard as she went by.

I sigh and kneel down to collect my things. Sean comes by and helps after a moment. I smile and ask if he wanted to walk the rest of the way to class with me. He kindly accepts and we begin our walk, ignoring the hateful shouts from passers.

***

The whole class was a living hell. This period is almost a full free time. The teacher usually rambles the first ten minutes then we pretty much take over the next half hour. Then, she rambles for the remainder of the time.

Well, I wasn't even going to try to interfere with my old friends so me and Sean just finished up homework at the back. He was incredibly smart, smarter than most.

I couldn't ignore the fact that he'd be a perfect member of the team. Just then, it hit me that he couldn't be on the team yet because play offs were coming up. I couldn't risk his lack of training.

Maybe next year.

***

After school went pretty smooth up until the last few minutes. After class, gathering my things from my locker went fine but then when I headed for the door, everything went bad.

Someone's foot was purposely slid under mine causing me to stumble over it before finally falling.

Roars of laughter escaped the gathering crowds and I felt a burst of sharp pains rush through my body. I attempted standing but my right leg was useless under me.

I could see the flashes of phones splash over me. I just knew there'd be dozens more tags and snapchat stories after school.

Sean, once again, came to my rescue. Pushing through the crowd, he held a hand out that I took as an aid.

"C'mon." He said. He out an arm around me as I limped along.

Before exiting fully though, I turn just for one last look at the crowd. Hunter was standing right in the middle of it all, sorrow in his eyes.

I shot him a dirty look before exiting, the sound of chants about Sean and I being faggots following.

Sean didn't say anything as he helped me to my car. He simply squeezed my shoulder in an apologetic way and walked away. I figured he was walking home today.

"Oh my God, what happened?" My mom's paranoia came through as soon as I got in the front seat. "What happened to your leg? Who was that? Are you okay?"

"Yes, mom. I'm..." Even to me, this was a surprise. I stuttered over my words as my voice grew shaky.

"Hun?"

"Mom..." I began sobbing. Sobbing as hard as I'd ever sobbed in a long long time. I was devastated and miserable. I couldn't believe this was happening to me.

My mother just one-arm hugged me and pulled away from the school.

To think, all this and all I wanted was to be treated as an equal.