Chapter One

Chapter One.

“Nathan Sykes.” I repeated the name in my head. It was him who had done this to my brother. He had lied to the police about Joshua. I was certain my big brother would never do such an inhumane act. All my life he had been by my side. He fought away the bullies when I couldn’t take them myself. He made me smile when I was sad. He was extremely protective over me too. No. He would never commit such a crime.

I leant back in my chair and scrolled through the Wikipedia page on the library computer. Nathan Sykes was in a band. Not one that I had heard of, not one that sounded particularly different from the pop groups in the charts either. But they looked different. I read the paragraph about each member of the band named The Wanted. They were all very different, each coming from various places in England and one from Ireland.

I sighed and clicked the homepage button so it took me back to the Google homepage. I thought about this before I started typing.

Nathan Sykes’ address

I was good at finding things. But I just hoped his full whereabouts would be on the internet. The first few pages I clicked on only told me that he lived in west London. I sighed in frustration as I randomly clicked on a number at the bottom of the page. More websites that were less relevant to what I had originally searched came up. I clicked on a few but had no luck. It was no use. His address was well hidden. I logged off the computer then leaned down and picked up my bag.

It was relatively dark when I got outside the library. The grey sky left a dull atmosphere in the city I had lived in for the past five years. My dad had moved here with my brother and I after my mum had a mental breakdown. She was admitted to a mental care facility on the outskirts of the city so it was easier access to her now that my father had bought a house here. My dad was a workaholic and until Joshua had been arrested he never spent more than a few hours at home each evening.

The clouds threatened to let rain pour down on me so I decided to return home. I pushed through the hustle and bustle of the 5pm London crowds. People pushed past me in an attempt to make it to the underground train station before the train departed. No one even took a second glance at a nineteen year old girl who seemed to be getting nowhere through the crowds. I got frustrated and stuck my elbows out in an attempt to get somewhere. It worked as people moved out the way of my sharp elbows. I eventually came to the street that I had walked on so many times in the past five years. I walked slowly along the pavement as there were only a few people on this street. The building towered over me as the evening began. I stopped outside the tall house where my brother and father would be, struggling to find a way out of the situation Joshua was in. I approached the front door and hesitated before opening it. The welcoming warmth of my home made me smile as I kicked my shoes off and hung my coat on the stand beside the door.

The house I lived in was quite big compared to some of the places in west London. My dad was a successful barrister so I guess you could say we were well off. I looked to my left through the open doors that showed the dining room. My father and Joshua were sat at the oak dining table. They both had faces of concern. I decided not to bother them and wondered up the white, marble staircase. I walked along the large hallway until I reached my bedroom door. The door was slightly open, just as I had left it so Smokey, my tabby cat could get in and out of my room.

I walked into my bedroom and threw my bag onto the beige sofa along the left side of my room. The sofa still looked brand new as I hardly used it. If we had a family member who stayed over, they would sleep in one of the spare rooms. I very rarely had friends to stay as I was very independent and didn’t make much effort to communicate with the two friends I did have. Jennifer and Charlotte were lovely girls but I had never opened up to them and let them know about my past. They just knew me as Eva Knowles, the girl who loves photography. I did love photography but they didn’t even know that my full name was Evangeline, I just preferred Eva.

I sat down on my bed and thought about the situation carefully. Smokey purred underneath my touch. My brother was currently out on bail after he was arrested for the assault of Paige Greene. Some people at the university I went to carried around rumours that Paige’s best friend, Nathan had reported it to the police. Apparently, Paige had been too shocked to say much to the police so Nathan explained it all. No doubt that he had pinned it on my brother, despite barely knowing him. Nathan had clearly exaggerated the truth and thought my brother would be a good person to pin it on. It made me sick just thinking about it. But I was sure I would get revenge. I would find Nathan and I would get some answers as to why he hated my brother so much that he would pin this on him.

My brother, Joshua had once been friends with Paige Greene. He even brought her to the house once. I didn’t like this girl at all. Everything about her made me want to slap her across the face. The way she walked, the way she spoke, the way she looked. She was fake and I hated her even though I barely knew her. Paige must’ve mentioned Joshua to Nathan. That was why he took it upon himself to blame my big brother. This could ruin Joshua’s life. It could be over for him before it had even started. Joshua had been studying law at a university not so far from here. But he had been pulled out of the course until this was all over.

I lay back on my bed and sighed as my cat purred away happily, completely oblivious to the situation Joshua was in. I would find Nathan and I’d ask him why he did this. Everything would be okay, I hoped. I hoped every day and every night that it would be okay because Joshua didn’t deserve this. I closed my eyes and soon drifted off into a world of my own.