Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen.

“Baby, we need to go,” Nathan told me. I looked up at him and he smiled weakly.

“Just one more day then it’ll be over. I promise,” he said and kissed my forehead. He took my hand in his and the two of us left his flat. Everything seemed blurred and unrealistic. I shuddered every time I thought about last night. I couldn’t get rid of the horrible feeling of the stranger’s hands on my body. The thought of what could’ve happened if Max hadn’t saved me scared me to death. Nathan hadn’t let me out of his sight since he got back to the flat last night.

Today was the last day of the trial. I couldn’t wait for this to be over. Nathan was taking me to see my mum afterwards. I knew that she couldn’t remember me but I wouldn’t give up on her. I would never give up on her.

Nathan pulled up outside the courtrooms and we got out of the car. He laced our fingers together and led me through the crowd of reporters. He pulled me inside and stopped outside the doors to the courtroom where the final day of the trial would take place.

“This is it, Baby,” he said and I nodded.

“No matter what happens, just remember that I love you,” he told me. I held his hand up to my face and pressed my lips onto his warm skin.

“I love you too, Nathan,” I whispered. He placed his other hand on my cheek and smiled weakly.

“This is only the beginning,” he said then stepped closer to me. He pressed his lips to mine and I let his warmth take over me. It felt like a goodbye kiss but I knew it wasn’t. Nathan pulled away and tucked a piece of hair behind my ear. He let go of my hand.

“You. Me. Forever,” he told me before going into the courtroom.

*

“Nathan!” I shouted as my dad pulled me towards the door of the building. Nathan ran around the corner and towards me. My dad pulled me through the crowd of the reporters and I didn’t grab Nathan’s hand until I was almost away from them. I gripped onto his hand and kicked out at my dad.

“Nathan, don’t let him take me away from you,” I begged as my fingers slipped away from his.

“Baby!” Nathan shouted as the reporters surrounded him. My dad pulled me towards the car and Marcus got out.

“Sir?” he said a little surprised.

“Marcus, help me!” I shouted.

My dad pushed me towards the car but I wasn’t going to go easily. Marcus just stood there unsure of what to do.

“Let go of me. I’m not your daughter anymore. I’m not yours!” I shouted at my dad. He pulled the car door open and tried to push me inside the vehicle.

“Sir, if you don’t let her go I’m going to have to call the police,” Marcus spoke. My dad froze and looked at Marcus. He released me and I stumbled backwards. Next thing, Nathan marched over to my dad and punched him square in the face. My dad bent forwards and wiped his face.

“Don’t even think about coming near her again,” Nathan growled. I rushed over to him and he put his arm around me. My dad looked at Nathan in shock.

“Come on, Baby,” Nathan said and turned around.

We got into Nathan’s car and I curled up in the leather seat.

“It’s over, Baby. Your brother was found innocent. You don’t have to go back there ever again,” Nathan told me as he drove us away from the court.

I stayed silent for the whole journey to the clinic. I just wanted to get away from here. Nathan pulled up outside the clinic and cut off the engine. He turned to me and took my hand in his.

“Come to LA with me and the boys tomorrow,” he said. It seemed like the perfect solution to what I was thinking and feeling. I could get away from here for two weeks. Who cares about university? All I needed was to get away from here.

“Okay,” I replied and his face lit up.

“Great,” he smiled and got out of the car. I followed his lead and went into the clinic. I went to my mum’s room and knocked before entering. She was sat in the corner like usual and she looked up at me.

“Hi,” I smiled and sat beside her.

“Hello, can I help you?”

“I’m Eva, just a friend, a very good friend,” I replied and she smiled.

“Well, aren’t you lovely for visiting me,” she said.

“This is Nathan,” I told her gesturing towards Nathan.

“It’s nice to meet you,” he said and she smiled.

“You too.”

I didn’t really say very much to her after that. What could I say? She didn’t know who I was anymore. The doctors said that there was nothing they could do to help her remember things.

Tomorrow I’d be leaving with Nathan. A break from all this would be good. Nathan was all I had now. My father and brother didn’t care about me and that killed me. So this was an opportunity for a fresh start. Nathan was my fresh start.