Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven.

I hadn’t seen Nathan or any of the band for two weeks now. Nathan texted me every day. He didn’t understand what he’d done. But he hadn’t done anything…it was all me. I didn’t text him back and I didn’t answer his calls. I felt awful.

“Eva?” My door opened and I saw Jennifer standing in the doorway. She smiled sympathetically at me.

“Babe, I’ve been so worried about you. Charlotte told me that you were unwell and have been for two weeks.” I nodded and she sat beside me on the bed.

“It’s something else though, isn’t it?” I shook my head straight away and she frowned.

“I’m here for you, Eva. Know that.” She stood up and left my room. She knew I wouldn’t talk to her. She knew we were barely friends but I liked that she cared.

I picked up my phone and Nathan’s name started flashing on the screen. I left it to ring and shoved it in my pocket. I left my room and went downstairs.

I walked all the way to the strange building. The walk had taken me an hour but I wasn’t unfit so I wasn’t gasping for air. I walked through the front doors and up to the desk. The receptionist smiled at me.

“Hello, Miss. Can I help you?”

“Yeah, I’m here to see Mrs Knowles.” She turned around to look at a board on the wall and scanned it carefully before turning back around to me.

“Room Four.” Four. The number nailed on the door to Nathan’s flat.

I sighed before walking along the corridor and stopping outside the door. I pushed it open to see the familiar woman sat in an armchair in the corner of the room. I went inside and sat down on the windowsill. She didn’t look up at me until I placed my hand on hers. Her face lit up when she saw me.

“Darling.” I smiled at her. Her brown hair fell limply around her shoulders and her blue eyes looked as if she had lost all hope.

“Hi, mum.”

“Where’s your father?”

“He’s busy.”

“That’s the problem with Mark. He always works too much. He has no time for his only child.” I frowned at her words.

“Mum, you have two children,” I pointed out. She looked at me for a moment then it clicked.

“Ah, yes. Joshua. Forgive me, dear.” I smiled knowing that it wasn’t her fault.

“How is he?”

“He’s well. Getting the top grades at university,” I lied. We hadn’t told my mum about the arrest. It would only worry her and she could even have another breakdown.

“Darling,” she started. “Why did you come today?” I sighed. Even though she wasn’t well she knew when something was wrong.

“I’m having boy troubles.”

“Ah. What’s his name?”

“Nathan.”

“How long have you two been together?”

“Well, we’re not exactly together. I’ve known him just under a month. But I really like him. He makes me feel amazing. No one else can do that. Then things got messed up. I haven’t seen him in two weeks, mum. I miss him.”

“I understand, honey. But if you really do think this is something incredible, don’t let him go. Fight for him because no matter what you think, you deserve it.” I smiled and she squeezed my hand.

“I’ve missed you, mum.”

“I’ve missed you too. Now stop sitting around here with me and go and get him!” I laughed at her enthusiasm. Sometimes I believed she was getting better but the nurses told me that she wasn’t. In fact, she was getting worse.

I gave my mum a hug before I left the building. I got a taxi back to my house and as soon as I got through the door my father started interrogating me.

“I went to see mum.” And with that he shut up. I jogged up the stairs and got into my bed. Tomorrow was a new day. I’d do exactly as my mum had told me. I’d text Nathan then we’d up and we’d pick up where we left off. Revenge, Eva. I wanted to switch off the voice in my head that reminded me why I had met Nathan in the first place. But this wasn’t about Joshua anymore. This was about me.

*

From: Nathan

‘Hurry up! X’

I pulled the door open to the café and stepped inside. My eyes frantically searched for Nathan. Then I saw him in the corner. He was looking right at me. I blushed as I approached him. He stood up and hugged me which took me by surprise.

“Hi,” he whispered and I grinned as he let go of me. We both sat down and Nathan held my hand over the table. I liked that. It made me feel safe and secure.

“So,” he started and I knew what was coming. “Why did you completely ignore me for two weeks?” I sighed.

“I was ill.”

“Don’t lie to me.”

“I’m not.”

“Eva, I know you are.”

“I’m not, Nathan.”

“Eva.” He raised his voice then relaxed himself.

“I don’t know what it is about you. You’re like a drug. I can’t seem to get enough of you. I just want to grab you and kiss you. You drive me mad but you calm me down. You keep me on my toes and I just can’t leave you alone.” I smiled at his words.

“I feel the same.” His face lit up and he kissed my hand.

“Listen, I have to go now. I can’t meet you tonight but I’ll meet you here tomorrow morning for breakfast.” I nodded and we both stood up. He didn’t let go of my hand as the two of us left the café.

Nathan turned to me as we got out of view of the people in the café. I looked into his eyes and my heart fluttered. I really liked him. He leaned towards me and pressed his lips against mine softly. When he pulled away I couldn’t stop smiling.

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” He let go of my hand and walked away from me. He really was quite something. I wanted him so badly but I needed to get revenge for my brother. Maybe I could have both. Yes. Tonight I would get into his flat. There was no stopping me this time. I would do this.