Part 3

We all stared at each other in shock. How and why had that happened? Powers can't just appear like that. Then, I realized everyone was looking down at me, which was strange because in our little group, Leyna was the only one that was taller than me. The only logical explanation was that I was still a furry canine. (Though I'd hardly call that logical.) 

  I concentrated on how I looked before. A lanky middle school girl with pale skin and dark hair. Then, poof, I was me again. Ethan blinked. I guess it's not everyday you see a dog turn into a girl. 

  "What-? How?" he started. His face was beaded with perspiration and he had a scar on his cheek. 

  I looked at my own arms. They were still shaking from fear. I felt a sharp pain on my neck. I reached behind my head a touched it. I felt a wet substance on my hand. I pulled away and looked at my hand. It was red. I studied each of my friends. They looked weary and about to collapse. Then, I realized there was a giant black unconscious dog on the floor. I backed away.

   Just then, Marissa appeared behind Ethan. She looked like she had just woken up from a terrible nightmare. Her eyes opened with shock when she saw the creature. Suddenly, Marissa looked nauseous and ran away. Probably to throw up somewhere less disgusting.

  "You followed us here?" I asked Ethan. 

  "Uh, yeah. There were a bunch of creepy crawlies outside as well. All the other students are still in the classrooms. The intruder escaped."

  "That guy must have set those weird animals loose and left," mumbled Barry. His face was dead serious. That was really not like him. I was getting worried.

  "Forget about that, how did you even fend for yourself? There were a bunch of, um, monsters out there and all you had was a knife!" I protested.

  "I, uh, had help," he blushed and gestured towards the way Marissa left.

  "Oooooohh," we all said.

   In fifth grade, Marissa and Ethan had liked each other. They hardly talk to each other anymore and it was strange to see them working together.

  "Shut up!" Ethan shouted, his face still red. "That's beside the point! We have to go!"

  We all followed him as he ran down the hallway towards the exit. Marissa was waiting outside.  My friends and I followed Ethan into the woods near our school. Once, we sat down on a rock to rest, the questions started rushing out.

  "Where in the world did you get that knife?" asked Barry.

  "What were you and Marissa doing after you finished fighting the baddies?" I asked with a smirk. That earned me a well- earned glare from Ethan and giggle fits from my other friends. Marissa gave  me a look that said, I will kill you.

  " Where did you find Marissa anyway?" Barry questioned. His face was still white from shock. He was sweating like crazy.

  "I locked myself in a locker when I heard Mr. Brown over the PA." Marissa stated simply.

  "I found her when I heard her kicking and trying to get herself out." Ethan continued with a smirk.

  Marissa glared daggers at him.

    " Wait, what are we even doing out here?" said Leyna abruptly, interrupting the evil staring contest. I gave her a grateful glance. 

  "Yeah," said Amber. "We could just go to class."

  All of a sudden, a dark figure approached from the woods. It was a man. That, I could tell from his figure. We all stood up, though I could tell everyone was exhausted. We didn't want to get ambushed again when we were completely unprepared. This guy didn't seem like he wanted to hurt us though. He held no weapon, but his eyes scared me. They were electric blue and looked like they held a lot of wisdom, but his eyes constantly darted around, as if looking for any sign of a threat. He looked sort of mad. 

  "You can't stay," he grumbled. "They will find you."

  "You can't tell us to leave! We live here!" protested Amber.

  We all shook our heads slightly, sending her a warning glance. This guy looked like he could lash out any second. 

  "Go!" the old guy warned. "Go as far as you can. You won't be safe here. You won't be safe anywhere." 

  His messy blond hair whipped around his face as he cackled at the sky.