Part 7

Ana's POV

Three years later in New York

The alarm went off again. If I had any intention, to make it to office on time, it was my last chance to get up, as I had already hit the snooze button twice. Without opening my eyes, I checked, if I could move my left hand freely, then right hand, then left leg and then my right leg. I couldn't move my right leg, so I reached down slowly with my hands till I could feel the love of my life and trace his face with my fingers.

I knew Prince was around somewhere, but he moves so much, that I need to search for him daily morning. I ruffled his hair and then pulled him up onto my chest. He was still in deep sleep, but it didn't stop me from kissing and hugging him. He is the sole reason for my existence and gave meaning and purpose to my life.

After hugging, kissing and cuddling baby Prince, best part of my life, I finally woke up to face another busy day. Prince wasn't feeling well since the last two days, but looked fine today morning, so I decided to drop him in the day care and head to office. I had a very important meeting and didn't want to be late for it.

After getting myself ready, I woke up baby Prince and got him ready along with his baby bag and favorite toy, and headed towards the day care center. My roommate Cynthia was still sleeping as she worked the late shift yesterday, so I and prince, sneaked out of the apartment quietly.

As I was dropping prince at the day care, he coughed lightly. Immediately his teacher handed him back to me. "I don't think Charlie has recovered fully, so it's better you take him home. I don't want other kids to get sick."

I tried convincing her that he was absolutely fine, but she didn't budge and I was in trouble, as I can't take the day off, because it was first day of the special project I was assigned to and I need to go to the office.

I had no other choice but to call Cynthia and wake her up and ask for help.

"Honey, don't worry, I can take care of prince, bring him back." She said. I didn't know what I would do without such good friends.

I hurried back home and dropped prince to stay with Cynthia and was back on my way to the subway station to get to the city. I was already running behind schedule, because of the day care fiasco, but if I could make the next train, I should be able to make it to the project meeting on time.

I had to cross the main road to get to the underground subway station and knew the walking signal would start blinking any second, so I pumped my legs and ran to get to the zebra crossing in time. As I was running to get to the other side, a red Mercedes car appeared out of nowhere, almost running me over and came to a screeching halt, just 2 inches from me.

I got so mad that I stopped and glared at the driver. The driver glared backed at me and honked his horn forcing me to move over. I got so mad that I banged his car hood and gave him the middle finger. That made him so mad that he tried to get out of his car to confront me.

I would have taken up his challenge any day, but on this occasion, I was running late. So I gave him the finger and quickly crossed over to the other side and disappeared into the underground subway. However I missed my train and had to wait for the next one. I was so mad at the idiot for making me miss my train.

I hopped onto next train, sat down and closed my eyes thinking of the events that happened since Las Vegas and wondering what triggered the flashback.

Ana's flashback

I came to New York immediately after the Las Vegas incident. I worked for only two months in NY and was then transferred to Boston branch.

I moved to Boston and before I could settle down fully, I started noticing weird changes in my body. I usually am very healthy and hardly got sick before, but something was going on with my body and I felt sick all the time. After a month, I couldn't take it anymore, so took an appointment for a doctor visit.

The doctor was very friendly and after checking my blood test results, she asked me about my personal situation.

"Ana, your application says unmarried, do you have a boyfriend? "

"No doctor, I don't. Too busy with my work. Anything serious? " I got nervous and scared, afraid to hear her diagnosis.

"Nothing serious honey. Congratulations! You are pregnant!"

For a second, I thought she was talking to someone else, then realized I was the only one in the room. I just stared at her dumbfounded, unable to respond in any meaningful manner. I felt like a meteor struck me.

"Its okay honey, if it is not what you are expecting, then take a week to think about it and we can discuss options." She said trying to make me feel normal.

"No, I am keeping the baby." I said firmly, surprising myself. "I just need to figure things out." I said and walked out of the hospital.

I didn't know how long I walked as I kept on walking in a random direction, until I was so tired, that I took a cab back home and cried myself to bed. I wasn't sure if I could handle the situation and wanted to hug someone so badly and cry. I felt very lonely, depressed and sad, as I didn't have anyone at home to share the news with.

There was only one person I could share the news with. I called Sally and told her and I was crying the whole time. She immediately flew to Boston to cheer me up.

"Baby..honey..we can't change what happened, so please look at the positive side. You always wanted your own kids, someone with whom you can spend the next eighteen years, love and share life with." She wanted me to be happy and not worry about how I ended up pregnant, but move ahead with my master plan for life.

"But I don't know if I am ready for such a huge responsibility. What if I can't manage work and baby at the same time?"

"Don't worry honey, I am sure you will have lot of help from our friends. I am not saying it is going to be easy, but you can do it. We all will chip in."

"What if something happens to me? I don't want my kids to go through what we went."

"I promise you honey, if anything ever happens to you, I will take care of your kids like my own." And she hugged me tightly and we both cried holding each other.

Sally's visit gave me strength and purpose to begin a new phase of my life. My pregnancy moved smoothly and with the help of friends, I welcomed baby Charlie after six months.

It was a huge life changing moment for me. Charlie was everything for me, not only he made me a mom, but filled the huge void in my heart, that I have been carrying since childhood.

I started calling him prince and soon that became his unofficial name. My life changed to being happy and cheerful, with prince around, that I stopped regretting the Vegas incident. To stop people from asking prying questions about my personal life, I made up a virtual boyfriend who travels a lot.

My expenses went up after I started sending prince to daycare. To cover the gap, I started looking for jobs with higher benefits and pay. Luckily for me a position opened up at Shah group of companies and I took it.

Till two months back, I was working at the Boston branch, but got selected for a high profile project to be executed from the corporate headquarters in NY and was asked to move here. The project got delayed and today was supposed to be first day of the project.

These two months, I was temporarily assigned to the logistics department reporting to Jason, who has been mean to me. He was good at first, but when I told him that my boyfriend stayed behind in Boston, he started making unwanted advances and asking me for dinner dates. When I made it clear to him that I was not interested, he turned mean. I was looking forward for the project to start, so that I could get away from working for him.

*****End of flashback ****

Finally I made it to office and hurried to the meeting room, where the project members were meeting for the first time.

I opened the door and stepped in. All the project members turned towards me, but I stopped in my tracks as my eyes locked in with the gentleman doing the presentation.

It was the guy driving the red Mercedes to whom I gave the finger earlier today.