Part 17

Ana was looking through the window at the passing cars, thinking about the incidents that happened in the past week. She felt as if she was carrying a burden on her shoulders, trying to figure out a way to let Rahul know about Ria and Vicky.

Suddenly she noticed Rahul's red Mercedes turning right into a strip mall on the opposite side of the road. She asked Miso to take a 'U" turn and catch up with Rahul's car.

As they turned into the mall towards Rahul's car, they saw Javier, Rahul's driver, get out of the car and walk towards the mall. Miso stopped the car and shouted to get Javier's attention.

"Hey Javier, how are you? Where is Mr Shah?" Ana asked Javier, as he approached them.

"Thanks Miss Ana, I am doing fine. I am not sure, most probably at his apartment."

"Ok, I thought it was him. If you have the car, how is he gonna get to the party?"

"I am not sure. Today morning, he sent me a text with instructions to buy some medicines and get the car serviced, so I am just following them. He said, I could take rest of the day off."

"What kind of medicines and when did you give him?" Ana suddenly got worried.

"Not sure, looked like antibiotics. I left them with the concierge to deliver them to Mr Shah as per his instructions."

"Ok, thanks Javier." Ana got into the SUV, "Miso, change of plans, drop me at Mr Shah's residence and then you can leave. You should still be able to make it to your appointment."

"Ms Ana, what about the party? I can still take you after you visit Mr Shah." He offered.

"Its ok, I can take a cab." She replied, still thinking about the medicines.

Ana got off near Rahul's central park apartment complex and walked towards the concierge. Though she knew about the place, she had never been to his apartment.

She checked with the concierge and was happy to see her name on the list of people with permission to visit Rahul anytime. She was sure Mandy asked for her name to be included as she sometimes stays here to be close to Rahul.

She got off the elevator and stood in front of his apartment door. After hesitating for few seconds, she pressed the door bell. There was no response, so she started banging on the door and waited for few minutes, still there was no response.

She then called Mandy and explained the situation to her. Mandy gave her the code to get into the apartment and asked her to update her after checking it out.

Ana opened the security panel and punched in the code Mandy gave her and the door opened making a buzzing sound.

The lights were off, so she stopped after taking a few steps into the dark apartment. After figuring out the layout, she ventured further into the apartment. She realized as she walked further deep into the apartment, tiny motion activated led lights lit up showing the way ahead. The bachelor pad occupied the entire top floor penthouse with 360 degrees view of the city.

She found the lights and switched them on bathing the luxurious apartment in fluorescent light from the powerful overhead recessed lights.

She started checking the rooms one by one hoping to find Rahul. As she turned the door knob and entered one of the rooms, which was still dark, she figured it was the master bedroom and she could make out a figure buried under covers on the bed.

She went upto the bed and removed the comforter slowly and found Rahul sleeping, coiled as a ball. She touched his face and felt his skin burning with high temperature. She checked the medication on the bed side table and figured he took only one dose.