Chapter Twenty Seven

Surprisingly, my phone was still in my pocket and is now being searched by Scott, the man that took me from Steven to Maria. I believe he is downloading everything I have and have ever had on my phone, including deleted files. Maria is furious at me.

"This is why you use your head Alexandra, not your hormones!!" Maria yells, pacing up and down the carpet. This irritates me.
"I have never had an emotional connection with him!!" I retort.
"Rubbish!!" Maria snaps back. "Or else you would have avoided him from the start!!"
Powerless, I remain quiet.
Maria disappears for a while, most likely talking to Scott. Meanwhile, I walk to the window and look outside. I see nothing but forestry around the building I am in, which is something I somehow did not notice when we were driving here.

A car pulls up and three men get out, two of whom are security guards and the third being Nick. How funny.

They walk into the building away from my sight, away to a place where I can't see them and where they're going.

I turn around and see Scott leave the room, most likely to bring Nick up to where we are now. I decide to sit on the lounge and wait, only to find Maria with an unreadable expression on her face.

"I believe your father has just resigned as President," Maria says, "the world is thankful for his resignation actually and so am I."

The world seems to stop spinning altogether. I cannot believe this. Then reality hit me. My father deserved this. His overboard ambition of global conquest made him deserve this.

My thoughts are disturbed by the door opening, both Nick and Scott entering the doorway. Maria is up on her feet and advancing towards Nick.

"How could you stuff this up so much?!" she yells.
"I... I..." Nick stammers. "I need to talk to you in private!!"
Maria grabs Nick's shirt and pulls him away from the door. "Then perhaps you can explain to her how she got involved!!"
Everyone looks towards me. I am astounded.

"Was all this planned?!!" I scream at Nick. "Was this all planned to deliberately stuff me up, just because I am related to the President, my father?!"
"NO!" Nick bellows. He is sweating and is cracking under pressure. "No... no... I... I.... temptation got to me, okay!"
I roll my eyes. Maria releases her firm grip on Nick's shirt and Nick approaches me.
"As soon as I saw you on that plane I knew who you were," he says with a flustered tone. "So I decided to become your friend for ten seconds to see what else your father was up to, even though I was not supposed to. The entire meeting was a coincidence! I... I... I coaxed you to go to sleep, then searched through your phone!! As it turns out, your father used your phone once to email someone else who I have no idea about, some technology businessman I believe. That email was regarding the installation of 500 security cameras across one quarter of a certain city, however, I don't know what that city was because it was code-named. So I took a copy of this email and sent it to your mother as soon as we touched down on land.
"Then, your mother being your mother, she made sure it was shown globally, using a terrorist organisation called the media to achieve this."
Maria rolls her eyes. "Always so dramatic, Nick."
"So, when I realised my mistake of elevating the conflict rather than trying to solve it, I covered myself up and blamed everything on you, Alexandra Maria Alvarez!! What else was I supposed to do?"

He slumps on the lounge opposite me and closes his eyes. The dark circles under his eyes are horrific.
"So there you have it," Maria says," how you Alexandra, were involved in this through a mistake. I never wanted you involved."

I feel sick.

"I... n-ne-need... air," I stutter.

I get up off the lounge, my head spinning, and walk towards the exit of the room. I push past Scott and walk out of the room and into the corridor. The lift, seeming to be waiting for me, is where I go. I push the button to the ground floor and watch the doors close. I feel as if I am no one's daughter, merely a piece of fish bait used to lure in everything else that could possibly be gruesome.

I am left to myself and funnily enough, a security camera.