Chapter Eight

"Wake up sunshine."
I am awoken by Nick who is eating, which means I must've fallen asleep. I sit up and stretch my cramped legs. Everyone seems to be eating breakfast, and I notice my breakfast awaiting me on my tray.
"Did you have a good sleep?" Nick asks.
"Yes," I lie in a sleepy voice.
Nick smiles. "Me too."
I make myself 'comfortable' in my seat and eat my breakfast that consists of soggy eggs and a bland fruit salad. The reality of what I discovered while 'sleeping' reminds me at why I should be angry with Nick.
"So what did you dream about?" Nick asks.
"Why is any of your business?!" I retort.
"I'm just... curious," Nick says while shooting a glance at me.
"Well, your curiosity can continue to linger," I vow. "You don't need to know what I dreamt about."
Nick looks surprised. "Woah! Why so moody?!"
I don't answer. I finish off my breakfast, not bothering to listen to Nick's comments. I think about my dreams, whether Nick will make them come true or whether they will just be dreams, as all dreams are.
"Maria?"
I turn to face Nick.
"What?" I ask, irritated. "You know not to call me that."
"You have to fulfil your promise today," Nick says.
"What's that?" I query, despite knowing exactly what my promise is.
Nick leans in closer. "About telling me more about you."
I breathe in deeply, thinking about finding a way to get out of this.
"No," I refuse bluntly.
"No," Nick repeats. "You promised."
I decide to spill the beans now.
"Don't think I don't know what you were up to last night," I warn. "And now I've lost your trust."
Nick freezes. I watch as the blood drains from his face.
"Whoops!" I exclaim. "I wasn't supposed to know that."
I watch as Nick struggles to get the next few words out. "What are you talking about?"
I laugh. "You're pathetic! Honestly, I don't think I need to say anything now! You've gone through my life! So as for now, I am not going to say anything and we can sit in silence until the plane lands on the ground!"
"You still promised you politician!" Nick says angrily.
The stewardess interrupts our conversation.
"No arguing on the plane," the stewardess cautions. "Now, can I collect your trays please?"
I hand my tray up to the stewardess, elbowing Nick in the process. Despite the dirty look the stewardess gave me, I don't bother apologising.
"How long until the flight ends?" I ask.
"Another two hours," the stewardess replies with an annoyed tone.
"Thank you," Nick says out of the blue.
"And there aren't any places we can relocate you to," the stewardess says, seeming to have read my mind.
"Thanks," I grunt.
"Not lady-like," I hear the stewardess mutter.
There is silence, before Nick ends it.
"I want to know who you are," Nick says through gritted teeth.
"Well, you already know!" I snap. "You found out without my consent! This proves that I can't trust you!"
"How about I ask you true or false questions?" Nick asks savagely. "Or are you just another stuck-up politician in the making?!"
"Fine," I say. "I'll keep my word so you can't accuse me of being a lying politician!"
Nick laughs tauntingly.
"And what were you doing anyway?" I continue. "Going into my phone like that? You could be imprisoned for this! Invasion of privacy!"
Nick laughs again.
"Go on!" I exclaim. "Bombard me!"
Nick takes a deep breath. "So your Mum died when you were very little from an illness that could've been prevented?"
"True," I answered grumpily.
Nick looks at me curiously. "How?"
I take a deep breath. "That's none of your business!"
Nick takes a moment to form words. "Okay, so your father decided to marry your foster mum Jacqueline Jos-"
"What is your thing with foster family?" I grit through my teeth.
"So your Dad married Jacqueline Josephs," Nick continues, ignoring my previous statement. "Then he inherited her children and she inherited...you."
I don't answer.
"True? False?"
"True," I answer angrily.
"So then they had three others and adopted more, which now totals to fourteen kids... including you and your treasured foster sister... Janet."
"True."
"Is it true that you like one of your father's security officers?" Nick asks this with a cheeky smile.
"No," I lie.
"I can prove it," Nick retorts.
I turn so my whole body is facing Nick. "So, how much did you actually go through?" I ask with an irritated tone.
"That's none of your business!" Nick snaps.
I laugh. "Well, it is! Considering it's my phone we're dealing with!"
Nick rolls his eyes.
"Now, answer my question!"
"How about what stays on the plane... stays on the plane?" Nick offers.
"No!" I refuse sternly.
There is silence. I plug in my earphones and begin listening to any form of music that can drown out Nick's voice. The earphones are ripped out of my ears.
"Answer me!" Nick says sternly.
I look over at him. "Answer what? I've already answered enough!"
With that, I ignore him for the rest of the flight.