Chapter One

You are so stubborn.

I pace up and down the marble floor, thinking of what more I could possibly say to get Dad to agree with me.

"But I need change!" I argue. "I just can't keep living in a palace-like house with security guards littering the place. I need something none of us have ever experienced before... privacy!"

Dad is getting more agitated by the second.

"Honey," he sighs. "You know I cannot stress enough how your future will be taking over the government I have constructed. You really don't understand how much strife this nation will be in if you leave!"

My paces become quicker and swifter, as beads of sweat start collecting on my forehead.

"But you have not one, not two, not three... but twelve other kids that could easily take your place!" I yell. "And I'm more than positive they could do a much better job than me!"

I begin to walk away, when I hear Dad taking a deep breath.

"Alexandra Maria Alvarez, "he says.

I pause in my tracks. Dad never calls me by my full name.

"I did not let you keep your mother's last name without reason. Nor I did not come up with your middle name at the top of my head."

Pause.

"You are the only one who is truly mine; the rest have come to me from your step mother and orphanages. Can you please stay? You're the only link I have left with her!"

My eyes start to fill with tears.

"Why did you let her die?" I sobbed.

Dad sighs. "I tried my best to hold her back... and I know that I will not make the same mistake with you!"

I spin around on my heel.

"So you think I'm gonna die?!" I scream, tears flooding my eyes. "I want freedom! And you've not gonna stop me! I am sick and tired of security guards asking me if everything's all right while I'm about to go to sleep! Or standing in my bedroom!"

I ran to Dad and collapsed at his feet.

"Please," I begged. "Please let me live more than just being known as the President's Daughter. Let me create my own self... my own reputation..."

Dad's eyes fill up with tears.

"I am really sick of having my own reputation made up for me," I sob. "I want to make my own."

Dad takes a deep breath.

"Do whatever you wish," he says quietly.

I stand up and compose myself.

"Thank you," I say so I'm barely audible.

I turn around only to see two security guards approaching, who I know to be Harry and Jacob

"Mister President," Harry says, then bows. Dad briefly nods. "We have an issue on the agenda."

Jacob flashes me a smile, so I awkwardly smile back. I find Harry to be the more charming one but he always seems to ignore me; Jacob is rather uncomfortable to be around.

"There have been reports of militant attacks against our troops overseas," Harry continues. "The death toll is unknown, however, it was rather fatal. Do you have anything to say?"

Dad stands up. "Yes, get me to a press conference. I want to apologise to my citizens and ensure their safety."

Dad walks towards the golden doors that lead to the exit of the hall, Harry and Jacob following him at a swift pace. The door is slammed shut and I am left to my own senses...