New Girl

“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind,

And therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.” 

― William Shakespeare

New Girl

Aurora’s skirt was way too long for her liking; the somewhat unattractive navy blue base was decorated with yellow stripes and it extended all the way to mid calf. Are they trying to make us as unattractive as possible? She thought sarcastically. To make it worse they had to wear a white button down shirt and tie, a navy blue jumper which was all scratchy, and a repulsive blazer. If I wasn’t wearing a skirt I’d mistake myself for being a man! Did I mention the black shoes? Girls don’t wear these shoes! I mean, they have laces!

Aurora even practiced some introductions and a fake smile a few times in front of her mirror. “Oh hi, I’m Aurora nice to meet you!”, “Oh yeah, how can you tell? – oh my accent yeah... Nah I get that a lot.” No, no I don’t. She thought. Alex had already gone to work but she left money on the counter along with a note. “Hey sweetie! I hope you have a great first day – Don’t worry you’ll be fine!

You don’t know that...

And yes, I do know you’ll be fine just be yourself!

How did she know?!

Love you, Mum x

Aurora smiled a little at the note and stuffed it, along with the money in her blazer pocket and headed toward the door. She grabbed her five tonne bag and clicked the lock button on the door before she closed it behind herself. It wasn’t annoying before but it was right then, is it really necessary to paint it blue? There are hundreds of thousands of colours to choose from and they chose the brightest, most attention grabbing blue that they could lay their hands on. Aurora groaned internally and rolled her eyes.

 “Rory! Wait up!” A voice behind her called and she whipped her head around to find out whose and it was Harry! He was jogging up toward her awkwardly as he yanked on his blazer. He looked a whole lot better in this uniform than she felt she did. His tie wasn’t nearly done all the way up and his top button was missing, and he wasn’t wearing the jumper. 

Oh god, I’m going to be the laughing stock in my gay jumper. Aurora panicked.

“Oh, hi Harold,” Aurora said and he chuckled..

“You know, my real name is just Harry,” He said and did a cute hair flick. He pretty much towered over Aurora as he looked down at her and she awkwardly smiled up at him.

“It’s Harold now,” She joked, but they could both tell it was going to stick. Our street was covered in school kids now – in two different coloured uniforms, navy blue and black. “Who are the other school?” Aurora asked.

“They’re the Blackfry’s, our school and theirs are rivals,” He winked at her and she started to merge right. “Where are you going? School is this way,” He said, and reached out for my bag to grab it.

She was yanked back, which caused her to lose balance and if Harry had have let go she would have been face first in their neighbours roses. “I need to buy lunch,” Aurora explained and he let go.

“Alright then, but you know we have a canteen?” He replied, and followed her toward the main street. She nodded.

“Yeah, I don’t know I just don’t want to be in a line with a whole bunch of random kids on my first day, you know?” Aurora explained and he seemed to understand, they walked into her cafe and Darcy was standing at the counter, grinning at the both of them.