Chapter 6 ~ The Chase

Chapter 6 ~ Razakiel

 Looking down at the happiness shining across her usually controlled features, I feel a smile slip onto my face. After everything she has suffered and survived, I'm glad I can give her her freedom, at least for the moment. I almost wish I could have stopped it all. I wish I could kill him. After witnessing the nightmarish memory she was pulled into by Lucifers sick mind...well I'm glad the demons came when they did or I would have gone after Lucifer himself rather than his little creations. That would have put a stop to our escape plans completely. I wish I could truly set her free, not just help her escape. Handing her over to the Angels of Heaven might not be the freedom she's looking for, even if she does want to return there herself.

 "Come on, we need to get out of here before more arrive. A lot went after Chastir when they realised he wasn't with you so we might still have a bit of time..." I begin to explain.

"They're going after Chase?" And just like that the relief and happiness is gone. Fear flashes across her face as she speaks, then it disappears as she hides her feelings once more and unconsciously shields her thoughts.

 "Yes. Lucifer had some sort of alarm on you so that if anyone removed the block in your mind he would know. He thinks it was your 'Chase' that removed it. Like he has the skill." I hold back the desire to roll my eyes at the thought of that incompetent child attempting to remove the block in her mind. But at least he doesn't suspect me yet, so we have a little bit more time. "He sent the demons to find you and Chastir and bring you both back to him, so he can...ah, find out what happened." Her breathing hitches as she realises, immediately, exactly what Lucifer plans to do if the demons succeed.

 Without thinking too much about my actions, I reach my hand down and grab hers, squeezing in reassurance that I will never let him hurt her again. I will get her out of here. She exhales, almost a sigh of relief, and grips my hand more firmly. Her gaze flickers up to mine, as I lead her out of the tunnel, and for a moment as I watch her, a brief smile lifts the corners of her lips. Then I see realisation break across her face. She rips her hand from my grip. Her features controlled, her eyes betraying her distrust, confusion and anger.

 "We are going to find Chase. Right?" She demands, racing ahead of me and placing her hands on my chest to force me to a halt. I sigh in resignation. I knew she would ask. We are headed in Chase's direction now, despite the fact that I desperately want to just fly us out of this place right now. Watching the determination in her eyes and acutely aware of the slight distrust she still holds for me, I know I need to find him and get him out of here too. At least that way she might trust me enough to remain with me after we get out. The distant clamour of demon minds, unique in their distorted thought pattern and all-consuming urge to cause pain, makes my decision all that much easier, we need to move now, and if Abby doesn't get her way we will be too late.

 "That's where we're headed right now actually. Why do you think we're still down here?" I explain, giving her a slight smile and urging her to keep moving, "Let's go, more demons are right behind us, so we really need to move, Abby." Deeming my response acceptable, she turns on her heel and begins moving in the direction we were heading before she brought us to a stop.

 "Why don't we just fly to wherever he is?" she asks as I fall into step beside her.

"Lucifer can track our flights while we're in Hell, remember, it's best that we don't alert him to our movements before we are ready to leave." She nods in understanding and doesn't ask any more questions, concentrated on getting to Chase as quickly as possible.

 A distant growl rumbling down the tunnels after us lets me know the demons are closing in faster than I expected. As the clatter of claws on rock echoes through the walls around us, I grab Abby's hand once more and start running. I pull her along behind me, relief flooding through me when she doesn't protest my taking control and simply races after me.