Chapter 8 ~ The Doctor

Chapter 8 ~ Razakiel

"Dad," Issa calls as she moves further into the house, "Grab your bag, Razakiel's friend is injured."

 "Coming!" A deeper voice replies from a room near the end of the hall. His voice is quickly followed by shuffling and muffled footsteps, and then a shadowy figure, probably just over six foot tall, makes its way down the hall towards us.

 As he escapes the shadows, his silvery grey eyes sparkle with youth, belying the bottomless wisdom in their depths and the grey hairs visible in his shoulder length black hair. He swipes a hand across his jaw, dark with a few days worth of stubble, before his eyes latch onto the pale figure now resting against Chase's side.

 "Why is she still on her feet? Tell me you didn't make her walk all the way here!" His tone is almost violent as he takes in her limp figure and blood stained clothing, her eyelids drooping, almost closed, like she is on the verge of collapsing any second.

 Moving quickly he gently lifts her from Chase's grasp, ignoring the slight whimper that escapes her at the movement, whispering quietly in her ear as he carries her through a doorway to the right and into a room, empty of anything but a light and the narrow table-like bed in the centre, covered with a single white cloth and a similarly bland pillow at one end.

 Before any of us can even begin to think about moving in to the room after them, the option is torn out from under us as the door is thrown closed, and the distinct sound of a lock clicking into place reaches my ears. For a second panic hits me; what if he steals her, hands her back over to the Devil, I need her to get back home, but it disappears almost as soon as it arrives. He has no idea who or what she is, not to mention these are two of the people I trust the most.

 Chase, however, doesn't seem to share my thoughts. His voice echoes through the halls as he shouts through the door, only to be ignored even as he threatens to break the door down. When he steps back to turn his words into actions Isa jumps forward, blocking his movement.

 "Relax, he's just healing her. Do you want the girl to die?" She asks with humour tinting her tone, "Don't stress, he just prefers to work in silence." She says pointedly as Chase opens his mouth to continue his tirade. With a slight sigh and defeated nod he turns from the door.

 "Well as long as you don't make a sound, you can come in and stand in the corner." A deep voice commands our attention, and without hesitation Chase follows John back into the room, before it is once again closed and locked in place.

 As soon as they disappear from sight Isa turns back to look at me, before looping her arm through mine and leading me away from the door and down the hall to a dining room and taking a seat at the table.

 "You shouldn't have brought them here Raz, it's hard enough keeping this place hidden from the angels, now with the whole Hell thing, going on its becoming even more difficult and you think you can just show up with a couple of random Fallen and expect our help and protection?"

 "Is I'm sorry, I didn't intend to bring anyone here at all, but the situation got a little out of hand down there. I mean obviously! I ended up with Abby seriously injured, by a demon no less, not to mention the random tag along that couldn't be left behind." I'm almost growling by the last sentence. "Like I need that idiot around, he's just going to get in my way."

 "I'm just saying, you better not have lead a bunch of demons to my doorstep, Raz. If you have, trust me when I say that you won't have to wait for them to kill you; I'll murder you myself." With a slight smile gracing my lips from her words I nod in acceptance.

 "I am sorry Isa, but I took precautions, Chase and I were both shielding when we left, and Abby has a shield too so they shouldn't be able to follow us. I honestly wouldn't have brought anyone here, but she needed a doctor and this is the only place I could come. I was going to take her someplace else and come here on my own later."