Chapter 12 ~ Broken

Chapter 12 ~ Razakiel

I'm starting to become accustomed to the heart wrenching sound of screaming, what with the time I spent in Hell with Lucifer, the demons attacks both in hell as well as once we were out, and the occasional flash of memory from Abby's days with Lucifer. So, when I hear a mind numbing shriek in my sleep I'm in no way surprised. What I see when I open my eyes, however, is an entirely different story.

The image of Abby's most trusted friend looming ominously over Isa, a blood stained knife poised in his hand, ready to strike, will be branded in my mind forever. The utter devastation on Isa's face as she stares at the motionless body lying at her feet, paying no attention at all to threat before her, freezes me in place for a moment, but then the knife begins travelling along its hapless path and I'm on my feet and at her side, sword in hand, before it can even come close to touching her.

As soon as his eyes alight on my figure, and my blade against his, blocking it from achieving its fateful task, the fire in his eyes disappears, replaced almost instantly with an indescribable fear and all hint of colour drains from his cheeks as he stumbles over his feet in a rush to back away from me.

Probably a smart move considering the urge to pay him back a million times over for the injuries he has caused is overpowering, especially as I hear the doctor's choking breaths echo ominously around us. All consuming rage burns through me, and it must be clear in my movements what my intent is because he backs away faster a jumble of words spilling from his lips as if they can somehow stop me in my tracks. The fear in his eyes only increases the desire to destroy him for what he has done. What sort of coward attempts murder only to run away from the consequences? A smirk creeps its way onto my face as I stalk ever closer to the traitor in our midst.

"No!" The shrill cry freezes me in a way Chastir's desperate words could not, "Zak...please...please don't hurt him." A fleeting flicker of indecision sends my gaze her way, before the harrowing sound of a dying friend reminds me what he has done. "There must be a mistake! He wouldn't have...he couldn't..." The words break off on a sob that has my full attention turning her way.

"I had to do it! I couldn't just let you get her killed! She's better off alive and in Lucifer's hands than dead with you and you're suicide mission to get back into Heaven." A rumbling growl crawls its way up my throat as that all consuming rage pushes its way back into control; I would never let anyone hurt Abby. Ever. The look of devastation in her eyes as he speaks only makes the urge to kill him that much greater. And yet a small part of her didn't want me to hurt him, I'm not entirely sure how I know that's true; its almost as if I'm reading her mind without actually having to read her mind. All I know is that if I do hurt him in any way it will hurt her, and as much as I want him dead for murdering the doctor who has done nothing but help us, I've discovered that hurting Abby, is something I just can't do.

"What are you doing?" The pained words, said through a torrent of tears, tear at the tattered remains of my resolve, "He's getting away. He...he kil...you can't...Dad...no, no, no...please Raz. No." The red head is coated in the sticky liquid of the same colour that is still slowly leaching its way out of her fathers slowly dying body. She clenches him to her as if in some desperate attempt to keep him among the living.

Not taking revenge for myself is one thing. Not taking revenge for Isa, while she is incapable of taking it herself, is an entirely different matter.

With a brief glance toward Abby and a silent apology, I turn back to the task at hand. Only to find the cavern empty of the brown haired Fallen, who must have taken off as soon as I was distracted enough not to notice. So much for revenge. I release a sigh, not entirely sure whether I'm disappointed or glad that Chastir has disappeared.