Chapter 34 (Part 2) ~ Heaven

Chapter 34 (Part 2) ~ Zak

An inescapable silence follows, dragging us through time too quickly. Moving me further from the last moment Abby still stood by my side.

"What happens now?" The question jolts us all back to reality. The war is over. The Angels have won. A weight settles over my heart that I know will never be lifted, not until I see her again.

"Now we go through the process of establishing who of the Fallen shall be pardoned and who are guilty. Those that helped our cause shall be invited back to Heaven." Excitement fills the air around us at the news and I am vaguely aware of continued conversation as I spiral at the news.

It is what we always wanted, what I always wanted and yet the idea of returning home does not bring me any joy. How can I go back, finally go home, when Abby will never have the chance. I can't go without her. She saved us all and still doesn't have the chance to return home. How could Our Father do this?

"How could you let this happen?" The words are barely a murmur as my hands drift across her skin that no longer holds the life of the Angel I love. "How could you let her die fighting for you and not give her the chance to come home?"

"Razakiel, there is nothing we can do now. She is with Our Father." Mikhael's voice rumbles from beside me, a warning in his tone.

"Well if she's with Him, why doesn't he send her back to us? We would have lost the war without her! He chooses to interfere to destroy Lucifer's soul but he can't do something as simple as send Abby back to me?" I can feel the tension growing in the room as my voice grows louder and the accusation starts to sink in but I can't seem to stop the flow. It isn't fair, Abby deserves to live.

"Razakiel, stop this at once! Our Father's decisions shall not be questioned." Anger laces his tone now and he reaches to grab me, to stop the tirade.

"BRING HER BACK!" The words echo for an eternity through the large cavernous halls, even after Mikhael grabs me and traps the rest of my words in my mouth. I keep shouting them in my mind though, holding Abby against my chest and 'praying' to God. I bury my face in her hair and finally Mikhael releases me. The whole room is silent and for a brief second I think I feel Abby move in my arms. Maybe I'm going crazy, the thought brings a chuckle to my lips that I can't seem to stop.

"Zak?" I freeze, maybe I really am going crazy. I try to open my eyes, to check, but I can't bring myself to do it. I wouldn't mind being crazy if I get to hear her like this, but I can't see her lifeless body again. I simply can't. A hand grazes my cheek. Her hand.

"Zak, open your eyes," and I can't refuse her, not Abby. Not now, even if I have lost my mind. I look at her, still expecting to see an empty shell in my arms.

"Abby?" All the breath leaves my body as I stare into her eyes, see her chest rise and fall, colour in her cheeks, "Are you really here?" I glance around the dimly lit room and realise everyone is staring at her in disbelief.

"Yes. Our Father sent me back." She pulls herself back into my arms and I squeeze her to me, desperate to have her close to feel her breath against my skin, to know she is really alive.

"I love you," I can feel tears trickling down my face even as a grin stretches my skin, "I love you. I knew he could bring you back if he wanted to."

"I love you too Zak," she whispers into my ear, "And, um, Our Father asked me to let you know that if you ever demand something of Him like that again, you'll end up like Lucifer." I stiffen against her and pull away slightly. "It's okay, you're forgiven this time, but only because I saved Heaven from complete annihilation, so please don't anger Him again. I don't want to lose you."

"I won't. I promise, Abby. I love you."

"I love you, Zak," her lips press against mine and I can't remember a happier moment in my life.

Vote/Comment if you like it.