0.3

Jesse

The first night staying at the Kim household wasn't as good as I hoped for it to be, especially after waking up screaming from a nightmare.

"Jessabelle!" Hannah gets a hold of me as I pant for air. "What's wrong?!"

"I... I-I don't know... I dreamed that my feet were t-tied with a large rock and I was dragged deep into the ocean... I tried so hard to swim back up b-but it was impossible..." I could feel sweat trailing down the temples of my head.

"Hey, it was all a bad dream. Everything is alright now." She patted a towel on my forehead to clean the sweat away.

I knew it was a dream, but I couldn't stop feeling uneasy about it. I've never been the kind of girl who would get frightened enough to wake up from a dream. I wonder if this is work of what I have witnessed earlier in the evening.

Two days have passed since then, and I haven't gotten more signs of nightmares to get scared of. Everything was rather peaceful.

Hannah had a free day from her job, so she took me out to explore the capital city. Our day consisted mostly of exploring, shopping, and stopping by some food stands. Time quickly flew by, and we decided to head back as the sun was setting. According to her, it was going to be one of the coldest nights of the year.

It's already night when we get off the bus, and the climate clearly supports Hannah's futurology. I'm surprised it isn't snowing.

"I wonder what my mother is cooking for dinner..." She opens the gate and lets me go before her.

"Aren't you full from all the stuff we've eaten earlier?" I knock on the door.

"Of course not." She smirks, and shows me her keys. "Why are you knocking? I got the--" Her sentence is cut short when the door opened all of the sudden. I immediately thought it was her mother, but then a six-foot tall guy with bleached hair covered with a beanie appeared right in front of us.

I jumped into the conclusion that maybe we got to the wrong house, and I was ready to apologize right away, but then Hannah spoke up. "Oppa!"

She rushes to embrace him, like they haven't seen each other for a long time. "Hey, Hayeon..."

"What are you doing here? Are you here to visit?" She asks enthusiastically, then turns to me. "Oh! This is my best friend, Jesse. She's staying over while she's in town. Jesse, this is my older brother, Kim Namjoon."

He half-smiles at me. "Nice to finally meet you, Jesse. I heard a lot about you. Thank you for taking care of little Hayeonnie." His deep voice kind of took me by surprise when he spoke directly to me.

"Pleasure to meet you too..." I bow quickly out of respect, I already feel intimidated from this unanticipated encounter.

"Where's Mom and Dad?" Hannah asks him, glancing inside.

Her brother's manners changes to a more grim one, and it puts the both of us in alert. "Namjoon, what happened?"

"They're in the living room, they're perfectly fine." I could feel the brief heavy weight being lifted from our shoulders, but his expression sustained.

"Still... Something did happen, didn't it?" The younger sister couldn't let it go. He told us to go in and walk to the living room.

We met with both of their parents, who appeared to have gotten the news already as Mr. Kim was consoling his upset wife. We were completely dumbfounded, and Hannah was getting desperate for them to speak.