Chapter 5 - Work nemesis

2015

I accepted the flute of champagne that Colin handed to me because he was the type of man who could break my willpower. Besides, didn't champagne have fewer calories than most drinks? My head felt fuzzy from the two vodka sodas I'd had earlier and I couldn't remember the calorie count. A banana was 89 calories, I remembered that. It had been my breakfast every day from 1999 to 2001. Think, Sammy, think... a champagne was...

Colin clinked his glass against mine and I forgot all the numbers. I would have had ten calorific cocktails if he'd handed them to me. I'd managed to lure him away from Viv and it hadn't been easy. I'd had to strike up a conversation with our boss Stephanie and mention Viv's strategy to increase conversions. I'd then gleefully interrupted Viv's conversation with Colin by tapping her on the shoulder and purring, 'Stephanie's very keen to hear about your plan for the credit cards campaign.'

It was a delicious moment. There was nothing she could do or say but smile brightly, pretend to be sober and launch into an explanation of her six point plan. She'd be occupied for ages. Stephanie loved to ask questions. The fact that Viv had had at least three wines was just the icing on the cake.

'Shall we move to somewhere that's less crowded?' I'd asked Colin loudly, so Viv could hear.

I'd led Colin to the other end of the bar and he'd ordered us a bottle of Veuve.

'Great presentation the other day,' I drawled.

'I don't want to talk about work,' he said. 'Let's talk about you. What are you up to this weekend?'

You're what I'm up to this weekend, I wanted to say. I was prepared to go home with him tonight. I was wearing decent underwear, I'd had a recent wax – I was good to go. As much as it pained me, my encounter with Blair had fired me up. And because Penny hated schmoozy after work drinks, she wasn't here to tell me off.

'Oh, this and that,' I said. 'You?'

'I've got Mia this weekend – Sherry's bringing her by tomorrow afternoon and I'm taking her to the skating rink.'

'Ooh, that'll be fun.' I recalled the class photo he'd once shown me of his rosy cheeked 13 year old daughter.

'Yeah, but not so fun will be the half hour of passive aggressive conversation with her mother when she drops Mia off.'

'How are things going with you and Sherry?' I cocked my head to the side and gave him my best sympathetic look. If he started opening up to me, it would be the perfect excuse to put my hand on his arm and deepen our connection.

'At the moment it's what you'd call... polite.'

'Well, I'm sure Mia's very excited to see her dad.'

A smile spread across his face and, to my smug delight, it was he who touched my arm. Viv didn't have a prayer. I had Colin in the bag.

'Thanks Sammy.' His thumb stroked my arm. I knew that touching my arm would be as far as this could physically go in public. We'd have to leave separately and meet up around the corner to flag a taxi back to his place. I gripped the neck of the champagne bottle and looked him straight in the eyes. He stared back as I topped up our drinks.

'I'd like to take you out for dinner sometime Sammy,' he said.

I kept my eyes on him as I took a sip of champagne. This couldn't have gone better if I'd planned it.

'Sammy! Oh, Sammy!' Viv's voice made me almost choke on the bubbles. Colin's hand flew off my arm. The champagne stung my throat as I set my glass down.