Chapter 22 - Battle of the Queen Bees

2015

Robin pressed her toned body against mine and squeezed her arms tighter. It had to be the most painful hug I'd ever experienced. Strands of her blonde hair stuck to my lipgloss.

I looked over her shoulder to see an uncertain looking Lauren and a very pregnant looking Teaghan.

Robin moved her hands down my shoulders to grip my arms as she leaned back to look at me. In place of the perma-scowl she'd sported in high school was a wide smile and, after all these years, I still envied her makeup technique. Her thin eyebrows and dark lip liner were out. Clever contouring and mega eyebrows were in. She was beautiful, even if she'd probably had lip fillers. Embarrassingly, we were both wearing bandage dresses with cap sleeves. Hers was rose pink.

'You look amazing!' she exclaimed. 'I almost didn't recognise you.' She whipped her head to look at Teaghan and Lauren. More strands of hair stuck to my lips. 'Girls, doesn't Sammy look incredible?'

'Absolutely!' 'So gorgeous!' chanted Robin's cheerleaders.

I wondered what was going through their heads. The last time they'd seen me – at graduation – I'd looked so mousy. I knew I looked like a different person. Were they shocked? Jealous, even? Or were they indifferent? I couldn't decide what was worse. But whatever they felt, I sensed it wasn't genuine happiness to see me. After all, I wasn't genuinely happy to see them.

'You guys look fantastic!' I gushed, breaking away from Robin's stronghold to give Teaghan and Lauren pecks on the cheeks.

They were both as pretty as ever. Lauren rocked a white playsuit and heels like very few can and Teaghan pulled off a baby bump like my sister – it looked like she'd simply stuck a soccer ball under her burgundy jersey dress. She was actually wearing high heels.

'It looks like congratulations are in order for you.' I nodded at Teaghan's bump.

'Oh, thanks.' She flicked her wavy auburn hair over her shoulder. 'I'm due in two months.'

'Your first?' I asked.

'No, my second if you can believe it! My eldest, Jackson, is five. He's at home with my husband tonight.'

'She's got her man on a tight leash,' said Lauren with a giggle.

'He's very well trained,' agreed Teaghan.

'Well, pull up a seat.' I ignored the pang of nerves in my stomach and flung my arm out to present the table like I was showcasing prizes on The Price is Right. 'You remember Penny?'

'Penny Spaghetti!' Robin gasped. 'Or should I say Penny, Queen of the Desert? What a brave dress choice. You've sure changed since school. I wouldn't have picked you for the type to wear something so...'

'Fabulous?' I asked.

'I was going to say ostentatious.'

Robin's English had certainly improved since high school.

'We're going out later,' explained Penny.

'Look who discovered contacts,' cooed Lauren playfully.

Penny stood as rigid as a Barbie doll, her arms jutting out at right angles from the elbows as - one by one - Robin, Teaghan and Lauren hugged her. I knew I was in deep shit with Penny.

'I'm ordering us a bottle of champagne.' Robin clapped her hands excitedly. Lauren motioned for a bartender to come over to the table.

'A bottle of Veurve and four glasses please,' Robin ordered. 'Teags sweetie, do you want an elderflower virgin cocktail?'