Chapter 19 - Vivacious Viola

1998

'Robin's just jealous of you,' said Penny as we watched Teaghan sashay across the stage in her Lady Olivia dress.

'She's already drawn blood, what more could she do to me?' I asked in faux exasperation. I knew exactly what else she was capable of doing to me in her capacity as the play's costume coordinator.

'Blair's been looking over at you, like, every ten seconds.' Penny nodded towards Blair, who was on the other side of the auditorium playing around with the cardboard swords. He wasn't in the play, but a bunch of year 12s had taken on backstage jobs and extras roles because it got them out of other classes. I think Blair was helping out moving the sets.

I snuck a glance over at Blair and he quickly looked away. Penny was right.

'How awesome does Bec look today?' I overheard Naomi Knox, a girl from my phys-ed class, ask Shona Timms.

'I think the bright pink lipstick looks even better than red lipstick,' Shona replied.

I felt a surge of pride. 'So how did your new look go today?' I asked Penny. I'd say something to her later about how she'd put her glasses back on, pulled down the hem of her skirt and tied her hair up.

'I've had so many compliments. Even from Martin.'

'Don't go getting a crush on him again.' I flashed her a warning look. 'That jerk doesn't deserve your time and attention.'

'I could say the same thing to you about Blair,' she retorted. Touché. I wondered if she'd have an opinion about me going out with him in 2015? Probably.

'Okay Sammy and Teaghan, you're up,' Mr. H called. 'We'll do the scene on page 25 of my script.'

Teaghan walked slowly across the stage. She stopped at the centre and narrowed her eyes at me like she was some rival cowboy in a Western - a cowboy wearing butterfly hairclips and tencel jeans under her tulle dress.

I strode purposefully towards her. I could tell she was taken slightly off guard by my bravado because she took a couple of quick steps backwards.

She regained her composure and growled, 'I can't believe I have to pretend to be in love with you. It makes me wanna be sick.' She'd loathed the storyline that had her falling for my character disguised as a boy named Cesario.

'Likewise,' I murmured, scratching my head. I'd forgotten how much my short brown boy wig had itched.

Teaghan smiled sweetly as she turned to face the front.

'Cesario, by the roses of spring,' she began.

'Lezzers!' shouted Mudsey from the second row, his feet propped up on the back of the chair in front.

I sighed. I'd almost forgotten about the lesbian taunts. I looked at Teaghan, whose face seemed to have turned pale. Her script shook in her hands. I'd never noticed that the teasing upset her.

'Yeah, yeah, two girls,' I shouted at Mudsey. 'You should be thanking me and Teaghan for giving you a mental image to flog your log to tonight.'

Gasps filled the air but Mudsey seemed unfazed. 'I probably will!' he shouted with a chuckle.

'Sammy, Rob, that's enough,' warned Mr. H.

'Sorry,' I said, noticing that Teagan was actually giving me a look of appreciation.

'Alright, take it from earlier in the scene, from the top of page 24,' said Mr. H.

I nodded and gazed out at our audience. Robin glared at me from the third row. I wouldn't let her distract me.