Chapter 16 - Colin

2015

I accepted Colin's invitation via text message and he replied with his home address. Okay, casual sex would definitely be my new thing. Screw Dance Like No One's Watching.

'I can't wait to hear all about it!' texted Penny as I bolted through the door of my flat. My handbag flew through the air to land with a jangly thud on the kitchen counter. My grin was so big it rivalled the smiley face Penny ended her message with as I rummaged through my top drawer for appropriate lingerie.

I ripped the tags off my new red and black bra and knickers. Now was not the time to hold back and be demure. I wiggled into my faithful LBD, the one that smoothed my stomach and showed off my shoulders. Would it be too presumptuous of me to bring an overnight bag? Probably not. My plan was to leave it in the car so I wouldn't be walking into his house with it flung over my shoulder. I threw a jersey wrap dress I knew I wouldn't need to iron in the morning in a bag, along with some clean knickers, a bra and my makeup. I grabbed a bottle of Pinot Noir that had been sitting in the kitchen cupboard for six months – left over from a party I threw – and made my way over to Colin's place.

It was a big house with potted plants on the verandah and flowers in the front garden. Had Colin lived here with his wife? Probably. Best not to think about that when I was plotting how I'd seduce him.

Colin looked appropriately DILF-y when he opened the door, his top two shirt buttons undone.

'You look great.' The crinkles around his eyes deepened as he smiled.

The timber floorboards creaked under my heels as I stepped inside. I noticed he was barefoot.

'Is this a shoes off kind of place?' I asked.

'Usually, but you're free to leave them on if you like.'

I left my heels at the door and strode into the kitchen, pushing my nerves to one side like I'd done a million times before. Confidence Sammy, confidence. That's what he likes about you.

Colin stirred a wooden spoon around in an enormous saucepan. 'It's nothing too exciting for dinner, I'm afraid. Zucchini ribbon 'pasta' with Bolognese sauce.' He made quotation marks with his fingers when he said the word 'pasta.' 'I know you like to keep it relatively healthy.'

'Sounds perfect.' Okay, now I had to be confident and pull off eating zucchini ribbons while looking sexy. Challenge accepted. 'What can I do?'

'You can pour me a wine.' He nodded towards two empty wine glasses on the counter.

'I think I can handle that.' I savoured the rich sensation of Pinot Noir on my tongue as well as the sight of him tasting the Bolognese sauce.

I carried over his glass of wine and he held the wooden spoon to my mouth. I held his gaze as I tasted the sauce.

'Mmm, it's good.'

'Not too spicy?'

'I like it hot,' I drawled.

Colin cleared his throat and went back to stirring.

'You've got a great kitchen.' I leant back against the counter and sipped my wine.

Colin turned the heat on the stove down to let the sauce simmer. 'I think we have time for a very quick tour of the house.'

He placed a hand on the small of my back and steered me into the living room. I'd been expecting to see bachelor pad clichés, like a black leather couch, a shag rug and a liquor cabinet. Instead, I saw exactly what I should have been expecting – a room that matched his personality. And not his work personality. Rather, the room reflected his personality outside of work, the one I often glimpsed when he spoke about his daughter, his love for classic cars and TV – like MASH or Seinfeld – or when he laughed at my impression of Elaine Benes dancing.