Four Champions?

The first day of classes was spent with people staring at me and talking behind my back. We had some of the new students join our classes, but there were very few.

People could start signing up for the Tri-Wizard tournament. Hermione told me that Fred and George were going to try and sign up. I scoffed, because I knew that they wouldn't be able to get pass the barriers that Dumbledore set up.

Hermione and I were sitting in the Great Hall, helping Emily with her homework when Fred and George ran in.

"We've done it! Just finished the potion." George announced to everyone in the hall while holding up the glass phial.

I scoffed and Hermione sang, "It's not going to work!" Fred and George leapt up behind us. George had his arm around Hermione and Fred hovered over me. It was a little awkward because they haven't been talking to me.

"Oh, yeah?" George challenged.

"And why's that?" Fred asked.

I shared a look with Hermione and Emily and started talking. "Do you see this?" I asked, pointing to the age line. "This is an age line that Dumbledore drew himself."

"So?" George asked, still not getting it.

Hermione chuckled and tried to explain. "So, a genius like Dumbledore couldn't possibly be fooled by something as dumb and pathetic as an aging potion."

"Ah, but that's why it's so brilliant," George said.

"Because he's pathetically so dim-witted," Fred explained. Hermione got ready to counter, but I stopped her.

"Don't bother. There's no way we are going to get through to them."

Fred and George were now standing on a bench next to us. They shook the glass, uncorked it, and drank it. After they jumped into the barrier, nothing happened. But after George put his slip of paper into the goblet, the blue fire shot out and pushed them up and away from the age line. When they got up, they both had long, white beards. Hermione, Emily and I were beside ourselves with laughter. If only they would've listened. They then started wrestling and everyone was yelling: "Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!" It was pretty annoying.

That night, we went into the Great Hall to see who would be competing. The Goblet of Fire was at the front of the room, glowing brightly. The bright, bluey-whiteness of the flames was almost painful to my eyes. I was siting with Harry on my left and Emily on my right. The flames inside the goblet suddenly turned red again. Sparks began to fly from it. The next moment, a tongue of flame shot into the air, a charred piece of parchment fluttered out of it. Everyone in the room gasped.

Dumbledore caught the piece of parchment and held it at arm's length, so that he could read it by the light of the flames, which had turned back to blue.

"The champion for Durmstrang," he read, in a strong, clear voice, "will be Viktor Krum." A storm of applause and cheering swept through the Hall. He disappeared to a door on the right. "The champion from Beauxbatons is Fleur Delacour!" She squealed as her friends patted her on the back. "The Hogwarts champion," he called, "is Cedric Diggory!" The Hufflepuff table was so loud. They were all up, cheering and stamping their feet. "Excellent!" Dumbledore called happily as the last tumult died down. "Well, we now have our three champions. I am sure I can count upon all of you every ounce of support you can muster. By cheering your champion on, you will contribute in a very real-"

But Dumbledore suddenly stopped speaking and it was apparent to everybody what had distracted him. The fire in the goblet had just turned red again. Sparks were flying out of it. A long flame shot suddenly into the air, and borne upon it was another piece of parchment.