Untitled Part 26

THE DEMON catches the moue that almost touches the lips of the angel, El-Shädda. El-Shädda withdraws its sword from the Corporal's chest. The frown finally claims victory when the demon falls back from the force.

El-Shädda stabs the demon's chest; its sword prods deep. "It is never my joy to beat you up, Corporal," it says, seemingly trying to be respectful to the demon; but every time it calls the demon Corporal it always sounds like a spiteful remark. "We and the others used to be such good friends." The corners of the holy angel's mouth lunges deeper till its lips form a downward crescent.

The sword of Absolute Truth burns within the demon. "Not to worry much," the demon screams, holding on to the blade of the sword with its hands, trying to pull it out but to no avail. Its palms only slide off, bleeding in crystals after. "There is no guarantee she will live the holy life she ought to live! Once she rebels again, we will get our power back!"

The Corporal is the last demon standing; damn El-Shädda had beaten up all the others— Goh, Af, Çanver, and 'Avon. It laughs bitterly. "And I'll get promoted, you'll see!" it says, even though deep down, in the crevices of its subconscious, it knows it had been created lowly and will never be mightier than the mighty angels; it will never be in the front lines; it will never be in charge of primary assets of the Satan, like the Führer and Big Daddy. It was what the Great Cherub was fighting for in the first place, right? Because promotion is a lie.

And the Corporal dismisses it, the fact that it does not have to be so miserable. That once before, at the beginning of time, it lived in perfect happiness as a servant of the Enemy. Unfortunately, it entertained dissatisfaction and loathed the mercy and grace shown to it. It wanted more, and it fell; and lost the perfect joy he once had for eternity.