Porcey on The Angelic Conflict (Interview)

How did you get the idea for this book?

The idea for The Angelic Conflict is originally for a screenplay I started conceptualizing roughly three years ago. I got it from an unpopular Christian teaching of the same tag, which I thought was the most viable doctrine on creation for people who believe in the Bible.

I wanted to produce a film about it. I could already visualize it on screen: a non-linear take on the Creation and the present world— the contrasting shots between the amber café scene and the unsaturated visual interpretation of the angelic realm. But I had been focusing on other writing projects, so up to now I haven't officially started writing that screenplay or pitching the idea to any film producer. (I have big dreams.)

Then came the Project NY Battle, a short novel writing contest. Competitors were prompted to write a fresh 20,000 to 30,000-word novel within twenty-one days. When I read the elements needed for the project, I instantly thought of The Angelic Conflict; and I was like, Hey, this can totally be a written piece as well. Why not?

After publishing TAC in short novel form, do you still want to see it as a movie?

Of course. That would definitely be awesome.

Most of TAC's recommendations mention how the author researched for this piece. How did you prepare for writing TAC?

Preparing for TAC wasn't that hard. I already had the outline in my head. I just rummaged through my father's library to gather the materials I needed for review, and I read read read.

(Fun trivia: the books I mentioned in part 5 are really some of my references for TAC.)

How did you create the characters for TAC?

I had very limited time to write the book, so I just kind of built up the characters along as I wrote. But I did pay much particular attention to the respective backgrounds of the girl and the boy.

Did you base your characters on real people?

I don't think any of my characters were based on anyone in particular, except for the boy. He reflects the genuine hospitability and generosity of some of the people I personally know from the ministry.

Who's your favorite character from TAC?

I'd go for the boy. Yes, he's clumsy, and pathetic, and still has a lot of growing up to do; but despite the flaws, I find him adorable.

Were the people with "brighter and stronger reds" in part 11 a nod at real people?

Yes, they are three of my favorite "Christian" apologists. The first one is the Apostle Paul.

In the novel you never disclosed the name of any of the major characters. Why?

I am a fan of aptronyms; I am adamant about giving meaningful names to major characters. If I cannot find the perfect name for a protagonist, I leave it nameless. As for naming all the minor characters, I just thought it'd be fun.

(Fun trivia: one of the characters who has been granted a POV in TAC is named, and I wonder if someone has spotted it on first read.)

There were a lot of minor characters. Where did you get their names, especially the angels and demons?

I've gotten most of the spirits' names from a study guide. I looked for a verse that contained the word I thought a character would symbolize, and searched for its original Hebrew form. To be honest, I can't remember the words I used, except nabēlah, which means "wickedness, evil, or foolishness." I remember a few symbols, though: 'Avon represents rebellion; Çanver, blindness; Goh, pride; and Af, rage (not an expletive as one reader has hilariously pointed out).

Two of the angels were derived from my and my brother's names, which my father coined from the Hebrew: Yazhêl, from my name Jashael, which means "Yahweh is the Almighty and my salvation"; and I'amzer, from Amziel Jaezer, which means "Yahweh is my boldness and strength."

Hosh-i'a is from Joshua, one of my favorite names (and Bible character crushes, yikes!). I just added a bit of cutesy. The name means "salvation."

The rest of the extras were randomly named.

How did you come up with the "exorcism scene" of the girl? Was it based on a real-life account?

I grew up exposed to testimonies about religious abuse. (Most I've learned from books.) I made up the exorcism scene because legalism is real and is something I feel strongly about.

At some point in writing the book, I was scared that it might come off as an attack on a particular denomination; but I hope it doesn't for it was not. I just wanted to acknowledge the fact that the so-called Christianity can become cultic, and it is very sad.

Were any of the scenes in the book based on real-life events?

Yes. Most I've gotten from other people's experiences. I wanted my book to reflect reality as much as possible, an aspect that I find lacking in literature produced by devout Messiahians.

There are many concepts about angels. Where did you get yours for the book?

Angels are androgynous, each has a personality and a rank, and whatnot— I got them from Biblical exegesis. A lot were obviously made up, though, like the red aura thingie.

Do you believe in angels?

Yes.

How many angels do you think you have?

Four: the archangel Michael on my right, the archangel Uriel on my left, Raphael before me, and Gabriel behind me. Kidding aside, of course, I have no idea. As many as my Creator deems I need to aid me in warding off my demons.

What are your plans for TAC?

I plan to release TAC as an eBook soon. Shortly after I will republish it in whole on Wattpad for free reading. That has been my plan since finishing off as Top 2 at the Project NY Battle.

I am also currently working on its sequel, Wandering Spirits, as TAC is only a first of a series I shall call The Invisible Warfare. An exclusive preview is available in the pre-order edition.