Ch. 1 Is He... Gone?

"G..Gil...." the old man called, almost out of breath.

"Yes..?" he answered, eyes full of tears.

"Promise me.. you'll take care of your little brother.." he paused to inhale. "Give him all the knowledge I had ever passed down to you..." He continued before letting out his last breath.

Gilbert nodded," I promise.." He held the old man's hand and continued to cry while his little brother, Ludwig just stood quietly beside him.

жШж

After the funeral ended, they came back home. "Brother." Ludwig called. "Where did father go?" He asked. "Father has something else to do.... you'll understand when you're old enough, dear.." he said calmly.

"Did he die?" He asked again. Gilbert stayed silent, quite shocked.

"I think it's better if you go to sleep now. You must be tired." He said while taking his little brothers hand, leading him upstairs to his room.

Ludwig slept after 5 minutes of bedtime story. Gilbert turned off the lights and slowly got out of Ludwig's room.

He walked in the hallway to his father's room. He opened the door and stared at the room for a few seconds. He walked in and sat on the bedside. He took the picture on the table beside the bed and held it in his hands. In the picture was him and his father when he was 8 and Ludwig who was just 2 was held in his hands.

He choked, bursting into tears. He can't stop remembering all the memories that he had with him. He hugged the picture while crying continuously.

"Father.... please look after me" he murmured.

The next day...

Gilbert woke up finding himself on his father's bed, the picture was still in his hands. He got up from the bed, put the picture where it had first been and went downstairs.

He cooked some pancakes for his little brother. Then, he went upstairs to wake him up.

жШж

"Brother, where did you learn to cook these?" Ludwig asked, astonished by the taste. "Why? Does it taste awesome?" He asked back, smirking a bit. "Yeah!" He cheered with mouth full of pancakes. "Well, what do you expect from the awesome me? Haha.. actually I learned it from my friend, Matthew." He said.

"Remember Eliza? She used to come here everyday. Why hasn't she come here nowadays?" Ludwig asked. Gilbert froze as soon as he heard that name. "Well.. you see... she.. can't come here anymore for some particular reasons." He came up with an 'excuse'. "But she will be happy if she'd taste these, right?" Little Ludwig exclaimed. Gilbert smiled, "Of course she will. Now let's go. You don't wanna be late for school, do you?" He said after getting up from his chair. Ludwig hummed.

жШж

"I'll pick you up at 2, wait inside the class if I'm late, okay?" Gilbert told his little brother. "Okay, okay, you told me that everyday." Ludwig grunted. Gilbert just smiled as the 12 year old got inside his class.

He walked on the pathways towards his car. But before he arrived to his car, he stumbled upon a woman he used to know, making her fall backwards. But before she could hit the ground, Gilbert grabbed her hand and pulled her to his chest.

"Woah, that was close! Are you okay?" He asked with a caring tone. "Yes. Thanks for- G.. Gil?!" She said, almost screaming when she looked up to his face. "Liz?!" They quickly turned the opposite ways.

"So... what were you doing here?" She started the conversation. "Sending my brother to school.. how about you?" He asked, still facing the other way. "I moved back in." She answered. "Well that's great news.. what happened to.. that guy...?" He asked again

"We broke up.. and I told my mom I wanna move back, so I live on my own now. How about you? How's your family?" She asked. "I'm fine, Ludwig too. He's a really fast learner, you know. Also.. I dropped out of high school." He said. Elizaveta's eyes widened. "Gilbert.. why do such thing? You've got another year of knowledge. Why let it go?" Elizaveta asked with a very curious and worried tone."

"I decided to get a job so I can buy food and stuff for me and Ludwig." He simply said. "What about your father?" She asked again. "My father... he died." He sighed. Elizaveta gasped. "Gil.. I'm so sorry. I didn't know-" "It's okay, Liz. I mean... no matter what, we just have to accept what's coming, right? The past is the past, we just gotta live with what's left for us." He said.

Elizaveta started sobbing. "What's wrong?" Gilbert asked. "Nothing.. it's just.. Ludwig. He's so young and it's sad, ya know?"

Gilbert smiled a little. "Death can happen anytime, Liz. Right now, all I had to do is keep living and take care of him... by the way, since you're here, why don't you come to my place for dinner? I learned many recipes from Francis and I sure want to try it out." He invited. "Sure, I'd love to." She replied, wiping her tears. "Hah! I knew you would say that! Well, who could resist my awesome cooking?" He said with a grin. Elizaveta gave him a punch on his shoulder as she giggled.

'You never changed, Gil..' she thought."By the way, I have to go now. Bye." Elizaveta waved. Gil simply waved back.

As she was crossing the road, a random vehicle which was speeding appeared out of nowhere. Gilbert, who saw the car quickly ran towards Elizaveta, pushing her to the other side as the car almost hit her.

Of course, the car didn't hit her but instead....

шЖш