Chapter 5: Let Her Out

"Is it ok if I shift back now?" I asked and he nodded. I quickly shifted into my fox and found that I was smothered by his shirt. Derek chuckled before helping me out of it. When it wasn't around me anymore I shook out my fur.

"Ready for some lunch?" He asked.

Hell yeah! I responded and ran out the door. Derek quickly followed me and found me in the kitchen waiting for him.

"What could you like?" He asked me as he looked in the fridge. I walked over and stood on my hind legs to see what was there.

Turkey? I asked. He grabbed the turkey and gave me a few pieces.

"Would you like anything else your majesty?" He asked in a horrible English accent and I looked in the fridge again.

Why yes. I'd be thrilled if you could pass me the chicken in the back, sir. I replied in an equally horrible accent. He laughed and passed me the chicken.

Did you want to tell my parents that you're a shifter? Derek asked in my head this time.

Were they the couple that you told before? I asked and he nodded.

I guess we could. Can I trust them not to tell hunters? I asked as I finished devouring the chicken.

I'll make them swear it.

Okay sure. Let's do it now. I told him and trotted off to the office to wait. Derek came back a few minutes later with his parents. Derek sat in the large chair and I sat beside him on the desk.

"That's just sick." His mum said and he looked at her confused.

"You've marked each other. I can't believe you. She's an animal!" Her voice grew louder. Derek just sighed and stripped his shirt off and handed it to me, confusing his parents. I went behind the large chair and shifted, pulling the shirt over my head. I stepped into view and they gasped. Derek pulled me into his lap and buried his face in my neck, his hot breath tickling my new mark.

"This makes no sense." His father said.

"What doesn't?" Derek asked, his voice muffled by my neck.

"She's a fox shifter which don't exist, she's been in her fox form this whole time and no one noticed, she's still got ears and a tail and why doesn't she stay in human form?" His father listed and Derek took his head out of my neck.

"She's the only fox shifter that exists, she's been in her fox form so long that she's lost the scent of her human side, the ears and tail we can't explain and she doesn't like her human form because it she feels vulnerable and in danger." Derek explained. Trust him to leave nothing out. I put my head on Derek's bare shoulder and closed my eyes.

"Is she a danger to the pack?" His father asked. They're talking about me like I'm not even here.

"She's been here for two days without doing anything to engender the pack. If she hasn't done something by now she never will." Derek defended me.

"What's her real name?" His mother asked gently.

"It's Melody." Derek told her. My head suddenly shot up when I caught a sound with my ultra-sensitive hearing. My ears moved in different directions as I tried to pin-point and identify the sound.

"Melody? What is it?" Derek asked and I put my hand over his mouth to keep his quiet. I sniffed the air and I caught a scent that matched the sound.

"There are rogues at the border." I said before taking another deep breath.

"27 of them. All male. They're talking." I said.

"What are they saying?" Derek's father asked.