Chapter 8: Why?

The next time I woke up I was back in my little fox form and I could hear people shouting.

"Is this some kind of joke?!" Someone screamed.

"I-I swear she was bigger when w-we brought her in." Someone else stutter but in a quiet voice.

"Why did you bring her in in the first place?!" The first person shouted.

"S-She's Alpha D-Derek's mate." The other person told them.

"What?! She's a bloody fox! How the hell is she his mate?!" the first person demanded.

"All the m-mate signs were there." The other person stuttered. I heard pounding footsteps and soon someone with a red face was in front of the cell that I was being kept in. I'm guessing they were the one that was shouting.

"Once I kill you I'm going to kill Alpha Derek." He hissed and I growled, surprising him. I tried to get up but there was a chain around my waist, keeping me in one spot. Another pair of footsteps began getting closer to the room I was in. Soon a guy around 20 appeared. I sniffed the air and tensed when I caught his scent. Vampire.

"You're excused." He said and the guy from before walked out of the room. The guy sat down in front of the bars and looked at me.

"I've heard that you're Derek's mate. Why am I even trying to talk to you? You're just a stupid animal." He said and I growled at him. I'm not some dumb animal! Everyone underestimates me and I'm sick of it! My growls grew deeper as my body slowly grew. All of a sudden the chain snapped from around me and I was in my spirit fox, my body taking up most of the cell. The vampire quickly scuttled away from the cell and looked at me with wide eyes. I reached through the bars and missed clawing his legs by mere centimetres. I pulled my leg back and growled at him. He jumped up and ran out of the room. I took this chance to shift back into my little fox form and walk towards the bars. It'd be a tight squeeze but I bet that I could get through them. I managed to get my front have through the bars when I heard voices. I frantically pulled the rest of me through and hid behind the ugly looking couch that was pressed up against the far wall. A small group of people walked into the room, led by the vampire.

"What? Where did it go?!" He asked frantically as he looked around. A few people looked in my direction and I ducked out of sight. I hid behind my tail as footsteps grew closer to my hiding spot. I yelped and struggled when I felt someone lift me by the scruff of my neck.

"You mean this thing?" The man holding me asked as I tried to claw at his wrist.

"That's what it started as! Then it changed into some huge monster!" The vampire exclaimed. The man spun me around and looked at my wide eyes.

"This little thing, became some giant monster that took up the whole cell?" He asked and the vampire nodded.

"Whatever. Let's just take it to the boss." He said before he started walking. He walked up a set of stairs with the others following closely. I blinked my eyes quickly as they adjusted to the bright lights. My body bounced up and down as the man holding me quickly jogged up the stairs. He stopped a large door and knocked.

"Come in." A muffled voice said. He pushed the door open and walked in. He walked up to the desk and dropped me on to it.

"Here's Alpha Derek's mate." He said and I looked at the man who was sitting in a large chair. I sniffed him and quickly backed up, nearly falling off the desk. It can't be him. He looks me in the eye. It takes a few seconds but soon his own eyes widen.

"Melody?" He asked and I let out a bark.

"Get a shirt." He ordered and a few seconds later there was a shirt being pulled over my head. I jumped off the desk and shifted to my human form, earning gasps from everybody.