5

Ryan wasn't a bad dancer, but he wasn't a good dancer either. And in no ways was I a good dancer, not tonight. I could feel my feet stumbling underneath me as I danced, but that wasn't my fault. That was the alcohols fault. Obviously.

I could feel eyes on us, but most of them were on Ryan. Girls were staring him down like he was a piece of meat. It was actually pretty disgusting. He, of course, had no idea that this was happening all around him. Ryan was the kind of person who didn't know how beautiful he was. He was insanely modest, and not one to accept compliments. If you even commented on his looks his cheeks would turn dark red. So of course he didn't notice the girls next to him eyeing him up and down and giggling into their drinks. But I did.

I noticed.

It wasn't like I was jealous or anything like that. I just feel like someone should be able to dance without people practically staring them down. Maybe that's why my hands suddenly grabbed his and pulled him into me.

His eyes grew wide as I pressed my body against his, but he didn't push me away. His arms quickly snaked around my waist and grabbed at the bottom of my t-shirt. My arms responded by wrapping around his neck and pulling him even closer to me. His breath was hot on my neck and my hips were pressed tightly to his as the music pounded in the speakers overhead.

I watched as the girls quickly moved their eyes away from us. One girl even rolled her eyes when she got done eyeing us both up.

"What are you doing Bren?" Ryan whispers, breath warming my ear as he speaks. He sounded breathless. His voice was low and rough and I was suddenly reminded of how he sounded after a night of sex. God. Everything about him reminded me of our sex.

"I got those girls to stop looking at you." I quickly respond, expecting a thank you in return, but what I received was a lot different.

"Don't." He all but spits, voice turning angry as he pulls away from me.

"Don't what?" I ask, eyes scrunched in confusion.

"You know what you're doing. Brendon...." He sighs, running his hands through his hair.

"I really don't." I insist

"I'm single. You're married." He starts. "Did you ever think for one second that maybe I liked the attention I was getting?"

"I... No, I was just..."

"You were just what Brendon?" He asks, looking me dead in the eyes. I can't find a response. I was just trying to help him out. "You were just being the same old Brendon you've always been."

"I was just looking out for you." I retort quickly, feeling the need to defend myself.

"You were jealous. Right? That they weren't paying attention to you? Fuck, it's like 2008 all over again." He shakes his head and quickly moves back to the bar to grab his coat.

"Where are you going?" I call out, but he doesn't respond. "Ryan!"

"I need a cigarette" he mutters, quickly slipping one between his lips before sneaking out of the side door that leads to a small alley.

I would usually run after him. I would follow him right out of that door into that alley and we'd start screaming at each other for no reason. We'd stay out there until we finally got frustrated and went separate ways, both angry, and both unwilling to admit they were wrong. But that was a long time ago. I wasn't like that anymore. Sarah had taught me patience, and understanding. I was a lot less hot headed than I used to be.

So I followed him, but instead of yelling, I silently leaned against the wall next to him and lit another cigarette. I know he was watching me, waiting for me to explode on him, but i didn't. I wouldn't.

"I'm sorry." I say, staring at the brick wall in front of us. "I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable back there. I really am."

When I look back over at him he looked stunned. His eyes were wide and his brows were raised. "I know. Didn't expect to hear that did you?" I chuckle, managing a smile.

"Not at all actually." He chuckles back. He relaxes slightly, as if a ton of weight has been lifted off of his shoulders.

"I wasn't jealous you were getting attention by the way..." I sigh. "I guess... I don't know. I guess I was jealous that someone else was looking at you the way i used to." It comes out too fast. I didn't know that was the truth until it just slipped out. But it was. I was beyond jealous.

"Bren I...." He starts, but I shake my head.

"It's hard to imagine someone you used to love with someone else... That's all. I'm sorry. I know I have no right to be jealous. I'm really happy with Sarah. My life is in a great place right now. And after all, I broke up with you." I shrug. "But I can't help it. There's still something there."

Ryan looks me over for a long time before he breaths out a sigh and shakes his head. "I guess we never really had closure. Huh?"

"No. Not at all." I chuckle sadly.

"Well nows our chance..."

"I guess it is."

There's a long pause, before Ryan finally opens up his mouth and says "you first."