Disabled

AU everyone is a human.

Just a few days ago, the couple were happily thinking where they should go for their anniversary.

But something happened and it ruined their lives forever.

---

The couple stared into blank space. Operation would cost $4000, adding another $3000 for the replacement of Kaneki's legs. Even if they borrowed from Yoshimura, it still wouldn't be enough.

"I won't take the operation." Kaneki declared.

"But Ken..!" Touka tried to protest.

He shakes his head, adamant and Touka shuts her mouth, clenching her fists.

From then on, she swore she would work hard enough to raise money for the operation. She will not allow him to live the rest of his life on a bed.

---

She puts on a smile no matter what. She doesn't complain; but he knows she's tired and hurting inside. It saddens him to see her like this and he couldn't stand it anymore.

---

Kaneki was sitting upright, leaning against his bed's headboard and reading his favorite book.

"Ken, you awake? Can I come in?" His wife's voice came from outside.

"Yeah." He replies and places his book down. Touka enters the room and sits down onto his bed.

"It's time for lunch." She smiles, blowing at a spoonful of porridge then feeds him.

He finishes his porridge fast, as usual and she sets the bowl down onto the table next to his bed. They sit in silence and Kaneki watched as she plays with the silver ring on her fourth finger.

"I need to talk to you about something." He starts and she watches as he pulls out a large envelope from under his pillow. It was handed to her and she looked at him, confused.

"Take a look at the inside."

Touka opens the envelope and takes out a stack of papers from it. Her eyes widened at the words, 'Divorce' written at the top of the first page.

"I've been thinking for a while and I think it's best that we go our own ways. I don't want to be a burden to you anymore."

Touka bites her lower lip and grips the papers.

"As for the house, I'll give it to you and move somewhere else."

Tears fell down onto the papers she was holding. His eyes follows as she stands up. The papers were thrown at him before Touka slapped him across his face and stormed out of the room.

Kaneki continues sitting there, holding his burning cheek in his hand, eyes wide.

She was crying.

So much for promising to make her happy.

He got out of bed and onto his wheelchair, wanting to go check on Touka. After knocking twice and not getting any response at all, he just let himself in.

The door creaked open and he spotted his wife under the blankets, curled up into a ball, sniffing.

Wheeling his way towards the bed, he attempted to reach out to her but gets rejected as she moved further away from him.

He frowns. "Why won't you sign the papers, Touka? It's for the best."

She pulls the blankets away from her and screams. "You ask me why? Because we freaking promised when we got married didn't we?! That we would never leave each other in health or sickness!"