Smoke

"Can I see them?" I asked nervously.
"Yes. But they won't be able to see or hear you. And it's a very complicated thing to do. Not to mention expensive and tiresome. It's just a bad idea that could kill you." Lucifer stood up from his seat. "I have to go darling. I will see you later."
I slumped down in a chair. Should I go? Could I go? Lucifer said it was dangerous. I wanted to see him, but to see him and for him not to see me... It just wouldn't be the same would it. I-
My thoughts were interrupted by Tavern swaggering into the room. "So, who's Ash?" She asked.
"How'd you-"
"I like to eavesdrop. It's my favorite activity. Also this is the second time Lucifers left this room muttering something about an 'Ash' so I figured I'd ask." She explained.
"Ash is-well-he's a friend." I stammered.
"Ohhhh, a friend." Tavern said a provocatively wiggled her eye brows. She started giggling and I laughed with her. The laugh felt so unfamiliar. How long has it been since I laughed? I pushed the thought away and continued talking to Tavern. It was nice, I guess, having some one fill the void that Ash had left. Nice to have someone I could laugh and talk with. I hadn't realized how much I had missed this. How I had taken advantage of it before all of this happened.
I took a deep breath and told Tavern everything about Ash.

••••••

"So, luv, the wedding is next week. I have everything planned out. Everything except for your dress, which Tavern offered to help you decide." Lucifer said during dinner later that day. I looked at Tavern and she beamed.
"I've always wanted to go dress shopping with someone. I know all the good places we can go and-oh I just can't wait to see you in a beautiful dress. Not that the one your wearing isn't beautiful. That's not what-" she was cut off by the sound of my laughter and she started giggling too. In a matter of moments we were a chuckling mess.
Lucifer stared with his eyebrows furrowed. "Did I miss something?" He asked which cause our giggling fit to continue on. My stomach hurt so much from laughing and I tried to calm down. Tavern drew a breath in and reached for the goblet of water in front of her. "Well, darlings, I have a meeting to attend. I will see you later. And Tavern?" Tavern looked up at him. "Try to bring her back in one piece."
We chuckled at that and finished up our meal.
"So, where are we going for the dresses?" I asked Tavern on the way back to my room.
"That's for me to worry about and for you to see." Tavern said. We approached the doors and Tavern opened them. I walked in but Tavern stood outside the door way. "I have something to do real quick. I'll be back and then we will go gallivanting for dresses." She walked away from the doors, letting them close behind her.

•••••••••

"Rachel!" Tavern sang, suddenly appearing in the doorway. "Time to go!"
"About time. What took you so long?" I asked.
"I was trying to find the perfect designer and I've found it. So let's go, let's go, let's go!" She turned to skip out of the room and I trailed after her. Tavern linked her arm in mine as we walked for what seemed like 30 minutes.
"We are here!" She exclaimed as we approached a shack-like house. Tavern walked up to the door and pulled it open. I reluctantly followed after her. "Syvern?" She called out.
Out of no where cloud of smoke formed then dissipated to reveal a lean man in his 30's. "Hello, girls." He ran a hand through his brunet hair as his brown eyes fell on me. He was fairly attractive and wore a blue tuxedo. "I'm assuming you're the lucky girl." Syvern ran his eyes over me and snapped his fingers. "I know the perfect dress." He turned to stalk into his office, "Don't just stand there," he called over his shoulder.
Tavern looked at me, shrugged and walked after him. I sighed and followed.
His office was a small room filled with material of all colors and textures. Syvern held out a white silky look material to me. "Feel this." He ordered. I reached out to touch the material. It felt like cold water running down a stream. "Like?" He asked and I nodded.
Syvern closed his eyes and black smoke formed around my body, enveloping me. It became so thick I could barely see. Then it disappeared and I looked down to see a white dress made out of the material he showed me. It was sleeveless with a risky low neck and a dipping back. The skirts stopped just an inch before hitting the floor. It fit like a glove, and I was amazed at how well the top stayed up being that I wasn't the most busty girl.
"Rachel... You-you look-gosh there are no words to describe it." She stood up and took my hands. "You look like a bride. We will take it." Tavern decided for me. The smoke surrounded me and I was back in jean shorts and a black tee shirt.
"Syvern, don't forget that necklace we talked about." Tavern said as we walked with him to the counter. He simply nodded and stalked back to the room. "Wait outside?" Tavern asked.
I nodded and walked out the door. Tavern came out a few minutes late with a necklace containing a single golden stone in the center of the amulet. It hung just below her collar bones and complemented her green eyes perfectly.
"That's a beautiful necklace." I said
"Thank you. Your dress will be delivered to your rooms ASAP." She said and we walked back the way we came.