The Tajna

Night had approached and I was certain that everyone was asleep. I sneaked out from below deck, focusing on keeping my steps quiet. I made my way onto the docks. I had the Tajna in sight when I heard voices and footsteps coming towards me. Instinctively, I ducked behind a few barrels that were sitting on the edge of the dock.

"He's relentless," I heard a deep voice say. I didn't recognize it. "He will keep searching for her until her finds her. I say we give her up, get her off our hands before we get into more trouble than it's worth." 

"But you know how Lefiern is. He will but every effort into saving someone, no matter how hopeless it is. He especially wont give this one up, she's Taverns friend. Lefiern would do anything for his niece." A feminine voice replied. I didn't recognize her voice either. Their footstep sounded closer and they emerged into my field of view. The darkness concealed their features an I couldn't identify who either of them were. Fortunately,  they continued walking past me with out looking back.

"I know," he sighed. "This is only going to get us into more trouble than it's worth. I wish they would just tell the poor girl the truth already. Lucifer has Marked her. There's no hope." 

I froze. They had to be talking about me. And what did Marked mean? I listened intently on any further conversation but as the distance grew between us the less I could hear them. Finally, they disappeared into the distance. I rose swiftly and bee-lined for the Tajna. I climbed into the boat and found the spot that I set up earlier today. When I was sure that I was hidden completely, I curled up under a blanket and tried to get as much sleep as I could before the boat left tomorrow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke to the sound of heavy footsteps and the distinct swaying of the boat. We had already left and I had no idea how long we had been gone. If I came out now I could find that we had left five minutes ago and they could turn around and drop me off with Lefiern or it could have been two hours and I'd be in the clear. I also couldn't risk taking off the blanket that was wrapped around me. I was nearly suffocating in the sweltering hot air. 

 So, I decided to play it safe and wait about an hour before I revealed where I was and to tolerate the sauna for as long as needed. Until then I would wait, a tedious task I was not looking forward to. Patience was never my strong suit. 

"Of course, Leda." I heard Neil say. He sounded closer than anyone else had been. I stiffened. "I just have to find out where we put it. I think it maybe in this pile of bags over here." His voice sounded even closer. Shit. Turn around. Turn around. Turn around. I chanted in my head.  

"Oh, wait. I think it's below deck." Neil said and his footsteps faded away. Relief flooded me and I let out a deep breath."Wait, perhaps I was mistaken. It must be over here." His voice returned.

Fuck, fuck, fuck.  I could feel him getting closer to me. "What the hell is this," I heard him mutter to himself from what felt like inches from my ear. Suddenly the blanket was pulled off of me to reveal a startled Neil, a smiling Leda, a confused Wisteria and Izzy and a furious Graham.

"Crap," I said. 

"What. The. Fuck." Graham said as his face reddened. 

"Don't get mad," I said.

"Well it's a little to late for that, sweet heart," Graham said with stinging venom in his voice. "Do you have any idea the danger that you have put this crew in by being here?" 

"Well I-" Neil, Izzy and Wisteria suddenly found something to be doing below deck and rushed off to do it.

"I don't want excuses. It's too late to turn back now, so get ready to haul ass. The whole time you're here you will be working your little ass off." Graham's voice raised with every word. "You-"