The escape

Tavern burst into the room only a few minutes after the maids had left. "We have to go." She panted.
"What?" I stood up and the dress swished at my feet. "What do you mean?"
"We don't have time, I'll explain latter." She grabbed my hand and yanked me towards the door.
"Go where," I said as I stumbled over the skirt.
"I don't know yet," she said as she pulled out a knife. She bent down and sliced through the skirts of the white dress.
"Tavern?!" I exclaimed. She ripped off all the fabric that would have been just below my knees.
"We have to hurry. He knows," And before I had a chance to protest we were racing through the doors and into a crowd of guards. "Rachel-" Tavern called my attention as she tossed a sheathed sword in my direction. I caught it and unsheathed the blade to reveal a shimmering silver metal. Ahead of me Tavern engaged with the guard, slitting the throat of one only to turn and be met by another.
I rushed into the battle and swilled the gleaming sword at the closest guard. He blocked my sword as another guard swiped at my arm with her knife. Blood drilled down my wounded arm. Tavern appeared out of now where and pulled the the woman with the knife back by the collar of her shirt and slit her throat.
I turned back to the man and swung for his shoulder. He blocked once again and brought his sword down to slash at my legs. I moved back, but not fast enough because his blade grazed my shins leaving a read gash over both of them. I swore and lunged for him, aiming at his head, then his torso. Each time I swung he either blocked or dodged, always in consistent movement. He took a step back, raised his arm and-stopped. He looked down at his chest, choked and collapsed. Behind him stood Tavern with a knife dripping with crimson liquid. "Let's go," she said and sprinted.
I ran after her as fast as I could with the rocks jabbing into my bare feet. Taverns tight curls bounced with every step.
"Where are we going?" I yelled after her.
"My room! Hurry we are going to miss the boat!" She shouted. Boat? We were miles away from the sea. What the hell was she talking about?
I heard a loud yell behind as as a boat floated down from the sky. The boat looked like it was from on of those pirate movies. A man swung down from a rope, grabbing Tavern and swinging back to the deck. A few seconds later another swooped down and wrapped an arm around my waist.
"Lefeirn." Tavern panted. "Nice to see you, as always." She stood in front of a man who looked to be in his thirties. He wore dark brown leather pants and a loose white dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up. His brown eyes shined as he bowed to her.
"As it is you." He replied. "We must be on our way." He walked to the ships wheel and started shouting orders at the rest of the boat.
"That's Lefiern. My great uncle. He's ruled over his island to the north east. He has a band of pirates that follow his rule. He will take us to my room, then the mortal portal." Tavern said. Tavern looked very little like Lefiern. For one she had a much darker complexion and her green eyes seemed to hold a warmth that his lacked. Tavern sighed. "I suppose I should tell you why we left." I nodded and she sighed. "I was playing with Lucid and... And I over heard Lucifer plotting to kill you, after you got married. I-I couldn't let that happen. Your the only friend I have had. I can't loose you."
I didn't know what to say. Lucifer was going to kill me? But wasn't I already dead. Thoughts swirled around my head but I forced a smile. "Thank you Tavern. I would do the same for you. So, why are we stopping at your rooms?" I asked, changing the subject.
"I need to get something. Would you like me to get a pair of shoes from one of the crew mates?" She said and gestured at my feet. I looked to my bare feet of which were spotted with dirt and mud. I nodded to her and she strode off. A few minutes later she came back with brown leather combat boots and a pair of socks. I slipped them on, grateful for the warmth.
"I'm going to talk to Lefeirn. Will you be able to fare on your own?" Tavern asked me. I nodded and observed the crew as she walked away.
The crew was a diverse group. Men and women stemming from all cultures.  It was beautiful, all of these cultures working together. Their diversity seemed to unite them, in an ironic way. They all helped each other. Never was there a glare, but a warm smile. Never a sneer or a slur but a word of encouragement and a box of approval. My thoughts were interrupted by a woman bringing me some tea and bread.
"Thank you so much." I said.
"You're welcome." She replied. "You are a friend of Taverns?"
I nodded in response. "She is a good friend. Value her and don't take advantage. She will bring you happiness if you treat her with respect." The woman said as she sauntered away. Why would I ever take advantage of Tavern? And I do value her. I brushed off the ominous message. Tavern sat down next to me.
"That's A'idah. She is a profit. She normally doesn't say much to people. She must have seen something important in your future."  Tavern said.
"Yeah, I guess." I replied.
"We will be arriving at the palace soon. You're going to stay with Lefiern while a few crew members and I retrieve something from my room. It will take a few minutes but be prepared just in case something happens." She said.
"What are you retrieving." I asked.
"A necklace." She responded. I nearly blew a gasket.
"A necklace?" I said skeptically. "We are stopping for a necklace?! Lucifer is plotting to kill me, someone who is already dead, and you are stopping for a necklace!?"
"You will understand later. I have to get ready. Trust me, I would never do something that would jeopardize your life." Tavern said, then she walked away.