Chapter 6: The First Night

Seren's POV

This base was huge! Larger than any base I've ever seen. And trust me, I've been over enemy lines a lot.

There were guards in front of the huge, steel fence. The fence had to be at least two stories tall and the building must have been ten. There were very few windows, limiting our access into the base. We would also have to get past the guards and the fence, which must have security on it. I noticed something on one of the guard's belt, though. A card! And the card reader was right by the entrance into the fence. Perfect! We just need to take out the guards and...

"Alright, we found our path. Let's go." Mason said as he turned around. I grabbed him by the arm and stopped him. I had an idea.

"Not yet, let's have some fun with these guards."

I picked up a stone on the ground. I used my ability and made it look like a grenade. I chucked it hard and it landed at one of the guard's feet. "What are you-"

Mason was interrupted by the guard yelling "Get down!" as he jumped on top of the "grenade". After a few seconds, he realized it wasn't exploding and got up. Another guard walked by him.

"Great job, Minsky. You saved everyone from a rock."

"I thought we were under attack!" I was holding back laughter.

"Where did it come from, anyway?"

"Probably from the monkeys. They throw stuff at me all the time."

"Maybe it's because they think you're stupid enough to jump on a rock because you thought it was a grenade. Jeez, loosen up Minsky."

"I could have sworn it was a grenade!" he said, frustrated. 

"Let's get out of here." I said.

"Good plan." Mason answered.

We turned around and sprinted back toward the ship.

~

When we knew we were far enough away, we slowed down and started walking.

"That was-" Mason started.

"Magnificent!" I finished.

"No! I was going to say insane! What were you doing?"

"I was having fun."

"Well, your 'fun' could have gotten us killed!"

"Hey," I started. "Let's not forget who's been on countless missions and has never gotten themselves killed. Loosen up." Boys. They never think.

We walked in silence the rest of the way to the ship.

~

I woke up and checked the time. It was 4:00 a.m.. I decided to play a little joke on Mason.

"Hal," I whispered. He didn't wake up. I took my pillow and chucked at him. "Hal, wake up!"

His screen turned on. "Huh?"

"Play 'The Falcon's Shadow'," That was one of the loudest, heaviest metal songs I programmed into Hal. "As loud as you can."

"Isn't it a little early for that?" 

"Just do it!"

Hal let out a sound that must have been a sigh. I covered my ears so it wouldn't be too loud. The song played, and I heard a screech that was even louder than the music. Then there was a huge thud on the floor. I laughed so hard that I couldn't breathe.

"OW!" 

I got up and turned on the light and Mason was on the floor, curled up in a ball and covering his ears. "TURN IT OFF!" Hal turned the music off. I collapsed on my bed, laughing.

"I... can't breathe!" it was hard to spit out my words with all the laughter.

"That was not funny!"

"If you were me, it'd be funny." I said.

"Do you listen to this stuff?"

"Of course, all the time."

"You're insane!" well excuse me!

"Oh yeah? Well, I think you're insane for liking chocolate and the color green!"

"What is that supposed to mean? And how do you know that?"

"First of all, I know more than you think. Second of all, you're just like everyone else in this world! Ridiculing people for what they like! I like my hair short and purple and my music loud! I want to be different! I don't have to change who I am, everyone has to change their attitude about me. That includes you too," I stormed over to the light and turned it off. "Now if you excuse me, I'm going to get some sleep. We have to wake up in about an hour."

Why are people like that? What goes through their brains to make them think it's okay to put people down for what they like or don't like? I used to think to myself "maybe they're just jealous". But that isn't always true, is it? A person can't like anything to be accepted. Society is too hard on people.

I lie awake until my thoughts eventually lull me to sleep.

~

Hey

Sorry that this chapter is so short.

I think this little message at the end is so true. I'm ridiculed for everything. I wear a Star Wars shirt to school and I'm an outcast or a geek. I read The Lunar Chronicles at school and I'm a nerd or whatever. I wear leggings and uggs and I'm too basic. I wear makeup and I'm unnatural. I don't wear makeup and I'm ugly and sloppy. You know what? Why don't I do whatever I want and you keep your thoughts to yourself and I won't give two craps about what you think of me.

I also really hate it when people insult my fandoms. One time at school, I was reading Cress by Marissa Meyer and my friend came up to me and said "You like this series?" I said "Yeah." and she said "That's the stupidest series I've ever heard of!" You know what? Screw you and leave me alone.

Okay I'm done ranting. You can go back to your lives now.

xoxo, Mockingjaylunar