Chapter Nine: If I Can't Be With You

⊰ If I Can't Be With You ⊱

"Lucy?"

The blonde and pinkette turned their faces to a male with black midnight hair. Lucy sat upright, getting off of Natsu, as they still stared at each other's eyes intently. The man, who interrupted the two, cleared his throat and was confused on what was just happening.

"What's going on here?" He paced his eyes back and forth at the two. Lucy clenched onto her summer dress tightly as Natsu watched her gulp in nervousness.

"We were just talking about homework." Natsu lied, but failed on sounding convincing. Gray then glared at Lucy who still didn't have the nerve to look straight back at him.

"Yeah, cuddling on top of each other totally looks like discussing homework," Gray said sarcastically, "I want an honest answer, what is going on here?" He hissed angrily. Lucy unclenched her dress and stood up. Natsu widened his eyes as he watched her turn her face towards Gray. Her brown eyes piercing into his with sincere.

"I admit we were not discussing about homework." She said with a straight face, showing no emotion.

"I know, I'm not dumb. Lucy, you know I was going to apologize." He clenched his fists at his sides as Natsu looked at the two of them with a concerned look.

"Well maybe you came at the wrong time." She muttered under her breath.

"Apparently, because I ended up seeing you laying on top of Natsu! Were you cheating on me?!" He yelled at her making Lucy flinch at his raised tone and step back, her heel touching Natsu's torso. Natsu gently massaged her calves to soothe her, "Don't you dare touch her!" He shouted and pointed a finger at Natsu. But Natsu didn't obey, and still kept his hands on her leg.

"Gray, I'm sorry. I really am!" She shouted back as her eyes began to tear up. Natsu stood up quickly and brushed his lips against her ear, whispering sweet nothings to calm her down.

"No you're not, shut up!" Gray barked. Lucy stepped back and hit her back against Natsu's chest.

"Gray, please listen to me!" Lucy begged as tears strolled down her cheeks. Natsu clenched his fists and growled in frustration.

"No, I'm not going to listen to you!" Gray yelled as they stood there staring into each other's eyes, "I'm done with you, goodbye Lucy." He said in a very depressed tone. His lips slowly formed a frown as Lucy stood there in shock. Natsu and Lucy both watch as the black haired male walked down the hill in a slouched and stressed posture.

Natsu then looked back up at the clouds and noticed how it covered the sun. Barely any sunshine was shining the world, it was just shadows and everything was the color grey. Natsu looked over at Lucy whose bangs were shadowing her crying face. Her knuckles were white from the tight clenching. All he heard was her sniffles and her heavy panting.

Natsu intuitively reached to uncover her bangs from her face but from Lucy's peripheral vision she managed to notice his hand moving towards her face. She then smacked his hand away which surprised Natsu. He stared at his hand and looked up at Lucy who was staring at him with sad eyes.

Her eyes held pain, once again. He can see through her and see the shattered pieces that sprawl inside her ribcage from her broken heart. He stepped forward as if to show he was going to comfort her, but she stepped back.