Chapter 1

The same ephialtes every night, the last words from my mother. "Take care of the treasure I left behind." What treasure? What did she leave behind? These are what held me back in past. Everyone told me, my mother had killed herself. But what if she did not kill herself? What if something really horrible happened that none of us is aware of?

Over these past 7 years, I couldn't bring myself to accept the fact that she is gone. She was always a cheerful, loving, caring, happy, kind and energetic mother anyone could have ever wanted. Why would she suddenly kill herself?

Whatever it is, I wanted to go to the depth of it. I want to know every possible reason for her to take such a substantial decision herself. Even if my mother had truly killed herself, I want know why she took such a decision herself without thinking about what I would have gone through after her death.

All these thoughts ran inside my head when I felt someone shaking me. I groaned loudly as I opened my eyes.

"What?" I said, as I hugged my side pillow.

"Karyn it's your first day of college! Hurry up and get up or you will get late!" My aunt Lauren shouted. More like the annoying aunt. After my mother's death, my aunt and uncle had raised me.

"Jeez!" I groaned loudly, covering my ears. "Stop yelling into my ears. My ears are still alive and healthy unlike yours." I said as I pulled myself up from the bed.

"I don't have to yell every single morning if you were responsible enough to wake up on your own Karyn." Aunt Lauren said.

"Okay. Thank you so much for telling me about how irresponsible I am, even though I already know how clumsy and lazy I am." I sarcastically said as I rolled my eyes at her. I turned her towards the room door.

"Now please leave my room so I can get dressed up." I said as I gave her a couple of pushes on her back before walking towards the bathroom.

Aunt Lauren rolled her eyes at me as she walked out of the room. A few minutes later, I found myself relaxing in the bath tub. If not anything, a warm bath has always solved my problems even if it's for a while. I closed my eyes and lied back in the tub and sighed as I opened my eyes. I stared up at the ceiling.

What are humans? Why do we have emotions? Why do we find ourselves sacrificing for someone else's sake? What is love? What is friendship? All kinds of deep thoughts ran up to me when I heard the alarm clock ringing.

I took a glance at the alarm clock. It was 6:30 am. "Perfect." I mumbled to myself as I got myself out of the bathtub. I wrapped my towel around my body. I grabbed my hair dryer and started drying my black, straight, wavy at the tip hair. I looked at myself from the mirror. I couldn't help but sigh at myself.

"I hope things go great today." I encouraged myself a bit and walked out of the bathroom. I opened my wardrobe and groaned loudly.

"Not this again. Aunt Lauren! How many times a day do I have to tell you to stop buying me dresses?!" I shouted.

"Oh come on Karyn! You look beautiful in dresses!" I heard aunt Lauren yell back at me.

Once again, I rolled my eyes as I threw the dresses to a corner of my room after taking them out of my wardrobe. Fashion is not my cup of tea. It never was, and it never will be. So, I grabbed a pair of black skinny jeans, a plain red top and wore them. Boring? Yes, I know. But that's me. People like my aunt just got to deal with it. I comb my hair letting my long, straight, wavy at the tip hair fall into my shoulders. After combing my hair, I looked around. "God! My watch!" I shouted and searched the whole room as if I had lost my life.

After a while of searching, I found my black long belt like watch on the floor, near the bed. Why would I ever throw it there? I quickly picked it up from the floor and took a sigh of relief as I wore it on my right wrist. God, only I know how much I cherish this watch. I remember my mother buying it to me on my 13th birth day. Sure it's funky and has a look as if I was a member of a gang. But I still love it.