8. First Time

Stella's eyes roamed, not daring to look at Xavier. He made her stomach squirm into butterflies, it was almost nauseating. She clamped her mouth together, trying to make her breathing less audible. Xavier was inhaling and exhaling deeply, probably because of the extra effort he used to carry her and run at the same time.

"Are you okay?" He whispered to her, causing her to shiver.

She nodded her head, afraid she had lost her voice because of how close he was. His chest was touching hers, making her feel nervous. Her eyes wandered to him, wanting desperately to look at him right now, even though part of her didn't.

He smiled at her, almost killing her because of how gorgeous it was. His hair was still messy as it ever had been. His eyes seemed darker.

"Thank you," she told him, grateful he had helped her get out of the crowd before being trampled to the ground.

"You're welcome." Suddenly, he rested his head on her tense shoulder tiredly.

Oh, God.

His breath was hitting her shoulder lightly, making her hold her breath. Being so close, she could finally smell him all around her. A smell so foreign yet one she wanted to become familiar with.

Goosebumps made their way to her forearms, the breeze making her shiver slightly. Her teeth rattled quietly as she hugged herself. He must of noticed her shiver because just two second later she found his jacket wrapping around her.

"You sure you don't need it?" He nodded his head against her shoulder.

"Thanks," she said below a whisper. She still couldn't speak. He was making it impossible for her to do so.

His chuckle ran through her earlobe, making her lips shake. His lips pressed against her ear, making her light-headed. Did he do this to girls all the time? As he came back to the same position he was a couple of seconds ago, his hands folded against her back as he seemed to shove her closer to him. She breathed out breathlessly.

"You say thanks a lot. Are you Canadian?"

She laughed, "Surprisingly, I'm not."

"Whatever, it's cute though."

She nodded her head before backing up from him. She needed space to breathe.

The white shirt that was under his jacket, which was around her now, was closed shut, every button buttoned up. He shook a little but shrugged it off. He was getting cold, she could tell.

His eyes bore into her, making her shift uncomfortably, but she didn't break the connection. It was powerful, way beyond her control. His eyes seemed to hold a big secret. In that moment, she wanted nothing more than to hold onto those secrets for him.

The whole alley became silent, indicating that everybody was gone. His eyes left hers, disappointing her in a way she couldn't dare explain as he slid his head through the corner, looking left and right to make sure everything was clear.

He grabbed Stella's hand and took her out slowly, making sure she was careful with her hurt knee. She studied him, wondering why he was so nice to everyone, especially her, the girl that followed him around. Even in the worst of his days, he never said anything bad to the media or lashed out.

She slid off the jacket and handed it to him nervously. She was still shaking, probably more this time.

"Thank you for everything," she told him before trying to walk away, but her knee bent forwards, reminding her she was hurt.

He ran up to her, holding her arm gently, "Let me help you."

She nodded her head and let him guide her as she supported her weight on him. Her arm was around his tough, toned shoulder while his was around her waist. His palm was covering the blue ribbon that was hovering over her waist. The dress was white and looking down, it was now dirty. She was wearing high heels that were only a couple of centimeters long, matching the dress.

He was careful with his touch around her - a little too careful. She let her eyes roam freely to look at him. A small smile was playing his lips, making her wonder what he was thinking about.

They walked and walked through silence. It was driving her completely insane. The only sound audible was her heel making contact with the grey gravel underneath her and their breathing, which still remained fast. She wanted to talk to him, but she wasn't sure where to start.

They reached her car that was now a dark navy because there was hardly any light except for the streetlight and poles. After the long walk, she held her palm against the top of her car, switching her weight to it instead of Xavier.

"Would it bother you if I thank you again?" She asked him, remembering his comment earlier. The last thing she wanted to do was annoy him.

He laughed and shook his head. His laugh filled the air and then rebounded to her ears forcefully. It was a sweet sound, like candy to her ears.

"Thank you. And good night." She hesitated before she stood up on her tippy toes and gave him a small, quick peck on the cheek, afraid he would get uncomfortable if she did anything more. The feel of his touch against her skin made an exciting thrill course through her veins.

As she pulled away slowly, taking in his aroma for one last time, his face went from complete astonishment to a grin that went from ear to ear.

What's happening to me?

"Bye," she choked out before quickly entering her car and driving off, leaving him there, standing in the cold weather with his jacket gripped in his palm as he stayed in his dazed stance.

The feeling of his touch was still stuck to her lips, calling to mind every few seconds.

This was the very first time she had actually been that close to him.

This was the first time he had winked at her.

This is the first time she had kissed his cheek. His bare cheek.

This was the first time she dreaded walking away from him.