20. Distraction

Something seemed to tangle itself deeper into Xavier's arms, making him move abruptly, his tired eyes following down to see Stella softly breathing while he craned his neck. He smiled before moving back comfortably, slipping his fingers up and down over her arm. Her skin was pale and icy. He nestled the hotel blanket over her small waist, making sure she had more heat.

"You guys really do make a cute couple," Tyler said, rupturing the quiet.

Xavier looked over his shoulder to see Tyler's messy bed hair and tired looking eyes. "Yeah. But too bad it isn't what it seems."

He nodded, sitting on the edge of his unmade bed. He looked between them two, a smirk no longer existing on his lips. It actually scared Xavier for a moment. But only for a moment.

"If you like her that much, why don't you just ask her out? I see the way she looks at you. She sees something in you. Why else would she come knocking at your door instead of one of her friends?"

"Maybe no one was willing to take her in."

"Or maybe because she'd rather spend time with you," Tyler watched as Xavier's face fell into doubt, "How many girlfriends have you had in the past?"

He lifted his shoulders, "Around five, maybe six. Why?"

"And how did you know that they had a crush on you? Hopefully not this long or else I'd consider you a dumbass."

"Well, three of them asked me out, and I didn't really feel like turning them down. I've been through that and it's painful. And the others, well, it was obvious. It's like comparing them to Kat. You can't really because they don't hide it at all. It's all exposed. With Stella, she's so normal, and I don't feel like making everything awkward by asking her out."

Xavier looked back at Stella to make sure she wasn't awake to eavesdrop on their conversation. Her mouth hung low and open, her eyes closed while her expression was soft and relaxed. She looked cute, but not as dainty as when she was awake.

"You know, just go with your gut. Don't end up like me, all alone and stuck with a stupid teen who isn't aware when a girl likes him."

"Gee, thanks for the compliment. It's not that she doesn't like me. It's everything else that follows."

"Like what?"

"The fame doesn't work well with normalcy, I think we both know this," Xavier sighed. "She'd go running for the hills with all the shit I have to deal with."

Tyler stayed quiet for a moment. "You can't always let that stop you."

"I guess I just like her too much to do it to her."

Their voices dyed down, Tyler staring at the floor with a blank expression. What was he thinking about? Xavier had never really seen him zone out. He was always so aware of everything. Which is why he did his job so well.

His voice was infused with something that sounded like regret, "I wish I would've had the guts to tell my ex-girlfriend how much I loved her."

This was the first time Xavier was hearing about her.

"What happened to her?"

His eyes went dark.

"She died a few years back. She got mugged and attacked. He shot her after he took everything... The guy never got arrested because he ran away. He got away with it."

"Fuck, Tyler. I didn't know. I'm so sorry."

He shrugged lightly, "There's nothing I can do about it now. Nothing can change it."

"Tyler, really, I'm so sorry. Do you still love her?"

"I don't think you ever get over someone. They're always there, their memory nagging at you, but the feeling does fade, though. I can wake up in the morning and think about what I want to eat before I think about her now."