Chapter One

The Future

"We're here." Storm announced once we had landed the jet at our destination.

I nodded and stood, following her out to greet everybody.

Bobby and Storm embraced as Erik and I stood side by side awkwardly since we had tried to take them down in recent years.

Eventually we walked inside and I sighed, crossing my arms and leaning against the wall as I listened to Kitty speak.

"Whenever the Sentinels attack, Warpath spots them... then I send Bishop back to warn us of the attack before it happens. Blink scouts the exit site... and then we leave before they ever know we were there." She explained.

Bishop nodded and looked to us. "Because... We never were."

I pushed off of the wall and walked over to them. "What do you mean?"

"She projects Bishop back in time a few days to warn the others... of the coming attack." Charles said, adding a little more information.

"So she sends Bishop back in time?" Logan asked.

Charles shook his head. "No, just his consciousness, into his younger self. His younger body."

"That's one hell of a trick." I muttered, earning a small smile from Charles. I turned to him and smirked. "This might just work then."

Kitty turned to us confused. "What might work?"

Charles looked up at her. "The Sentinel program was originally conceived by Doctor Bolivar Trask. In the early '70's, he was one of the world's leading weapons designers. But, correctly, he had begun experimenting on mutants... using their gifts to fuel his own research. This is extraordinary. There was one mutant who has discovered what he was doing."

I nodded. "A mutant with the ability to transform herself....into anyone."

"Mystique..." Colossus muttered.

Charles shook his head. "We knew her as Raven..." He said, referring to Erik, himself and I. "When we were children, grew up together. She was like a sister to me. I tried to help her... but only succeeded in driving her away. She hunted Trask across the world. And at the Paris Peace Accords in 1973, after the Vietnam War... she found Trask... and killed him. It was the first she killed."

"Unfortunately not her last." I added.

Charles nodded and continued speaking. "But killing Trask did not have the outcome expected. It only persuaded the government of the need of the program. They captured her that day... tortured her experimented on her. In her DNA, they discovered the secrets to her powers of transformation. It gave them the key they needed... to create weapons that could adapt to any mutant power. And in less than 50 years... the machines that have destroyed... so many of our kind were created. But that started that day in 1973... the day she first killed. The day truly became... Mystique."

Kitty looked between Erik and Charles. "You want to go back there..."

"If I can get to her, stop the assassination... keep her out off their hands... then we can stop the Sentinels from ever being born." Charles explained.

"And end the war before it ever even begins." I added.

A look of guilt washed over Kitty's face. "Uh, I can send someone back a couple weeks. Maybe a month. But you're talking about going back decades. You have the the most powerful brain in the world, Professor... but the mind can only stretch so far before it snaps. It would you rip apart. I'm sorry. No one could survive that trip."

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair.

"What if someone's mind has a way of snapping back? What if someone can heal as fast as they're ripped apart?" Logan suggested. Almost right after he said it, everyone began preparing to send him back. "So I wake up in my younger body, God knows where. Then what?"

"You'll need to go to my house and find me. Convince me of all of this." Charles said.

Logan raised an eyebrow. "Won't you be able to just read my mind?"

Charles shook his head. "I didn't have my powers in 1973." He paused and looked at me while I looked at him confused. He had his powers in 1962... "Logan, you're going to have to do for me what I once did for you. Lead me, guide me. I was a very different man then. You'll have to be patient with me." He finished.

Logan grumbled. "Patience is my strongest suit."

"You'll need us as well. Erik and I." I said.

"What?" Logan looked at me confused.

"After Mystique left Charles, she came with Beth and I...and I set her on a dangerous path. A darker path. It's going to take the three of us, side by side...at a time when we couldn't be further apart." Erik explained.

Charles nodded.

"Great. So where do I find you two?" Logan asked.

"It's complicated..." I said before Logan was told to lye down as Kitty put her hands by his head.

"Basically, your body will go to sleep. While your mind travels back in time. As long as you're back there, past and present will continue to coexist. But you once wake up... whatever you've done will take hold and become history. And for the rest of us, it will be the only history that we know. It will be like the last that 50 years never happened. And this world, and this war... the only person who remember it is you. All right, Logan... I need you to clear your head and to stay as calm as possible." Kitty explained.

"What do you mean?" Logan asked, suddenly a little worried.

"If your mind gets rocky, it will be harder for me to hold you... and you could start to slip between past and future." She added.

"What if I need to get a little rocky...?" He asked.

"Think peaceful thoughts, eh?" I said.

"Peaceful thoughts..." He mumbled before turning his head back to Kitty. "Do you have any good news?"

"Well, you don't really age, so you'll pretty in the same." She said.

"Heh, lucky you!" I joked while giving his shoulder a light squeeze. "You won't have much time in the past..."

Bobby nodded. "Beth is right. The sentinels will find us. They always do."

"And this time... We won't be able to run. We'll have no escape. This is our last chance.." Kitty said quietly.

"You two really think this will work?" Erik asked Charles and I.

"I have high hopes." I said. "But it isn't him I'm worried about..."

Erik scoffed. "We were young. We didn't know any better."

"We will now..." Charles whispered.

"See you all soon." Logan breathed out.

"This might sting a little..." Kitty said before sending him back as he screamed.

A/N: Yes Carrie Fisher is Beth in the future, deal with it! Don't forget to comment, vote and add to your library!!!!