The Brawl

For a few days, I kept myself busy with training. Even though my arms sting with my latest mistakes, I kept on going. Calla didn't ask me to train with the older trainees anymore because they were busy impressing the Trainers to get a spot in the Games. A month to go before the Reaping. So they left me alone for the time being. I'm much happier with that.

"Hey Clove."

I didn't turn away from my target, I hoped the voice will go away if I decide to ignore it. With a precision, I hit my mark but it wasn't enough. Nothing is ever enough for me now. I felt a presence behind me and I piped up finally, "What the hell is it, Rockwood?"

"I just wanted to ask," The boy chuckled which made me turn my head at him. Benjamin Rockwood was one of the seventeen year olds I beat the other day. By the looks of his face, he was playing around. As if on cue, I heard his friends laugh behind him. "Did you do something to your tits? They look bigger up close."

A few minutes after, Benjamin Rockwood found himself with a deep slash on his leg. Everyone in the Center turned their eyes to his agony then at me. I conjured a sweet smile at his crouched and bloodied form on the floor, "Did you do something to yourself? You look even more pathetic up close." After that, I wiped his blood on one of the training knives to my shirt. None of the trainers moved, fighting was allowed inside the Center, I just saw the smug smiles on their faces. They were proud they taught me well.

His friends ran to his aid, I saw Cato walking with a big grin on his face. He went past the huddled group and paid no attention to Benjamin but kept his blue eyes on me, "Nice job, little girl." Cato chuckled when I raised my eyebrow, "Apparently, you are not weak." Then, we both turned away from each other.

The news of my attack on Benjamin spread throughout the District like wild fire. Suddenly no one sent me taunting looks, no one even looked at me while I was walking at home. It registered in their poorly running minds that I, Clove Holt, can fight. It isn't as though I haven't had fights before, it was just the first time I gave a critical blow on anybody. Oh yes, Benjamin Rockwood is currently hospitalized now. The thought made me smirk.

"There she is!"

"Nice work today, princess."

"Brilliant work today, Clove."

Brutus, Enobaria and Magdalena, respectively, met me by the entrance of the Victor's Village. There were traces of laughter in their faces. When I came close to them, Brutus, the big man, threw an arm over me and laughed aloud. "No boy would ever try and break your heart. I'm sure of it." He said in between his laughter, "Quite a girl you got here, Magdalena."

There was a sudden surge of pride when my mother gave me a smile. No matter how I try to deny it, Magdalena's praises were golden to me because they rarely come by. "Of course." Magdalena nodded, "She'll do well."

"Are you volunteering this year, Clove?" Brutus asked, when he was done laughing.

Enobaria looked a bit unsure, "The girl's sixteen, Brutus. She'll go when she's older." She probably wanted to add my height but thought better of it. However, whatever she said was true. The trainers usually pick the older trainees to give them permission to volunteer, so as not to cause riot at the Reaping. There are a few times when they do pick someone young, like me.

"So what? We got a winner here. She'll be the perfect Victor." I liked Brutus too, I guess. When he's not trying to pick a fight or off killing people, he seems very nice. "Go and impress Ram," The Head Trainer, "He'll know what to do with you once he sees your killer skills." His words, though a bit shallow, made me think.