Career Pack

I could feel my body going on automatic as I ran towards the Cornucopia, which was filled with weapons from its mouth. I wasn't thinking as I moved quickly around the green field. The stash of knives were laid out, almost as though they were beckoning me to them. Cato and Marvel, who were fine in using brute force, acted out as the wall for me and Glimmer to get our weapons to cover for them. Once I had the knives in my hands and Glimmer had her bow and arrow, we started covering for Cato and Marvel.

At this point, I was scanning the field for the Girl on Fire. She was my target. She was mine. I sprinted out towards her and took a serrated knife in my hand and stopped when I saw that guy from District 9 started a pulling fight with her over supplies. I raised a hand and flicked my wrist. The knife buried itself in the square of his back. Within minutes, his body flung down to the ground and Katniss looked straight at me. She knew I was after her.

A smirk played across my features as I took another knife and started my way towards her. She ran off and I threw my knife at her, I targeted her head for a quick kill. I cursed out when she covered herself with that damn orange bag that she took as a prize from the bloodbath. I was about to throw her another when she was already out of my sight. I hesitated to follow her because the forest was too unfamiliar for me to venture in.

I will kill her one of these days.

For now, I turned my head and joined the Careers in the bloodbath. There were already dead bodies around me and I felt my adrenaline rush through my veins as I started whipping out knives and leading people straight to their death.

There was something surprising that happened in the Bloodbath, that little Jester kid from 4? He died. I saw his lanky body dangling from one of the crates by the Cornucopia. Maybe that was the reason why Jeany was hitting people angrily with the club she found.

The moment when we cleared out the field, I met Cato's eyes and he nodded. I looked around and pulled out my knives in the bodies because they were actually the best quality of throwing knives I've seen in a while. It was time to leave so a hovercraft can take away the bodies of the dead tributes. We actually did not vacate the Cornucopia but stayed a few meters away, just by the trees nearest to the pile of goodies stashed there for us.

It must have been a long while because I heard Glimmer say, "Why isn't there any cannons yet?" Although I didn't want to admit it. She was right. I have watched so many Games and almost after the place has been emptied by life, a hovercraft would come and collect the bodies.

"I think I know." Marvel called out to us. He was in a fighting stance with his spear up and pointing towards a blond tribute who was backing off. "You're from Twelve."

We made our way towards the boy from Twelve. He knew he couldn't run now. He was cornered – with his back on a tree – and from the looks of it, he knew it was hopeless. I thought he would beg for his life but he didn't. He spoke and it was the only thing that made me actually make him want to live, "I know Katniss. I can lead you to her. I can help you."

This guy, Peeta, really knew what to say to catch people's attention.

"Alright." It was short and concise, no one argued with Cato when he decided to keep the boy from Twelve with us. The moment he said that the cannons started.

One. Two. Three... Eleven.

Once the bodies were removed from the site, we went back to the Cornucopia. There were so many supplies left in the field, even I don't know what to do with all these. There were food – mostly dried but there were also those which aren't – and weapons but there were also foreign materials that I couldn't name at the moment. I picked around and chose a bag near the mouth of the Cornucopia. It had a canteen which was bone dry, a pack of dried fruit, more knives, a flashlight and a sleeping bag.