The Capitol

It was bigger than what I imagined it would be and even grander than what I had seen in the television. I pulled my eyes away from the window and continued nibbling on the strawberries that Celestine gave me. Cato was silent and did not turn to look at the Capitol as our train entered the station, he was above the Capitol and therefore did not deserve any of his attention. He just sat across me with his lips pursed into a thin line and his face scrunched up in concentration. I was right. This was the Hunger Games Cato eating before me and no one else and I had to be like him, strong and every inch of the future Victor.

"When we get out of this train, the Capitol people will be waiting for you outside. District 1 has already arrived and in fifteen minutes, so will District 3. You will only have a few minutes to establish your first impression." Brutus told us as he ripped off a piece of bread with his teeth, "So smile and look as though you're glad to be here."

"I am. I'm glad to be a tribute." Cato leaned on his seat and smirked.

"That's more like it." Enobaria nodded at Cato's words and turned to me, "And you?"

I shrugged, "Oh, I'm sure they'd love me." I gave them a sweet smile, which surely broke my face but if Cato can do it, so can I. When I laid my eyes on my mentor, she nodded and finished her coffee. I guess this is it. Besides being all the things they said I should be, I have to become this Capitol-loving tribute who will, there was no other option for this, impress and be loved by the audience. Besides being a Game which would require me to kill twenty three kids, I have to become like Caesar Flickerman, the only person in the Capitol with showmanship. This was all a bit show. A big violent show. "I'm perfect." I added.

"You're not going to wear your hair like that, are you?" Enobaria raised an eyebrow at me as I rose to prepare myself to face the Capitol. Then as I looked at her, I remembered what she had told me before. I should wear my hair down, play the Johanna card. I have to be pretty, even though I really am not, for Cato so not only am I going to play a part for the others, I'll play a part for Cato – the only person who knows me better than anyone else. I'll have a chance to break down his walls... but I said no to this plan right?

Have you already forgotten, Clove? This guy played a game in your little head. Why not play a game back?

As a reply, to my head and to Enobaria, I pulled my hair tie and let my dark hair flow down my back. My hair was a bit long, since Magdalena liked it that, and I like pulling it up to a ponytail. Enobaria stood up and ran her fingers to my hair and let it fame my face. She was behind me and held unto my shoulders, Brutus grinned and nodded. Cato, however, looked arrogant and uncaring.

"We can actually have a pretty and very deadly tribute this year! The others looked like men." Brutus laughed aloud and Enobaria reached forward, took my fork and threw it straight at Brutus who ducked just in time. "Those Capitol men will be itching to sponsor you, Clove. You should go out like that and then later in the Training Center and the Games, surprise them with that lethal side of yours."

Enobaria leaned forward and whispered in my ear, "Capitol men aren't the only ones I hope would help you." The two boys across us did not suspect anything when she did that, they just continued talking anything about the Capitol and how excited Brutus was to be there. He couldn't wait for the real Games to start since it was where the real fun begins. Enobaria pulled away from me and went back to her seat, she gave me a smile and went back to eating.

I made my way towards my temporary room in the Tribute Train, it wasn't much since mine was much larger. The only thing about the Train that I really liked are the Capitol people awaiting any order from me, I really liked that kind of power over these people. It was refreshing to have them as servants because they never talked back - which in my case seemed a bit weird, why would they not want to talk back and regain the power they usually have? - but since they're servants, I guess it's just about right.